The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 would it just mess up his system?? View next topic
View previous topic
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have got big round bale of hay which i will stick in his field shelter, but would it be ok to use hayledge in stable at night or 50/50 mix?? i have never mixed before, but with it said to be a hard winter and wanting to keep condition I was thinking that abit of the good stuff would help..

the hay isn't the greatest either but not the worse i have seen if you know what i mean, and i dont really want to give him tons of hard when something so simple can help keep him in condition.
Holdfast
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've never given mine haylage, so I'm no expert. But I would have thought it depends how 'hot' the haylage is, whether it would cause problems.

As usual with feedstuffs, introducing a little at first, then slowly working up the quantity, is the best way to go. Rather than just suddenly putting him in a stable with just haylage all night. That's what I would have thought. ??

I wouldn't have thought that eating hay/grass all day, then haylage at night would be a problem if you started him slowly.

Once when I was at a nightmare livery and the hay was rationed and I was not allowed to buy in more Mad I used to buy big bags of chopped lucerne and give them a huge tub of it to get them through the long night hours.They were ok on that.

By the way, lucerne, sometimes called alfafa, is high fibre and packed with goodies - great for condition. You might want to look into that in your situation. Smile

Last edited by Holdfast on Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Loubie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have fed half and half before Kay, not caused any issues. Introduce the haylage gradually as you would anyway, as long as its the same daily he will be fine
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

thanks for your advice, i would of course start slowly as i know if given a huge lot straight away can cause rather loose stools (or so im told), and i dont fance mucking that out.

I use a alfa thingy in his feed (just swap for oil one), im guessing same sort of thing. i know he is fine on that so might be worth having a nose in case there is a storage again of hay/haylegde.
Holdfast
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.simplesystemhorsefeeds.co.uk/products/feeds.asp?id=1&name=LucerneForages

Phew! Hope that comes out. I fed Lucie Stalks and Green Gold.

If the link doesn't work, just go to www.simplesystemhorsefeeds.co.uk

I really thought it was great stuff.
Tracey
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I feed haylge. I started by mixing half hay half haylge. Ruby does fine on haylge never had a problem Very Happy

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I feed haylage, mine are eating a bale and a half of the stuff a week already and looking very well on it !!

Willie, 6yr Clydesdale gelding
Henry, 22 month Shire gelding
Archie, 12 month Shire colt
love them all to death !!
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

its nice to know it would work, and thank you for that link holdfast, did have a look and also and the stories, def seems worth keeping in mind.

I was going to stick some hay out today,be the first lot, but the car is now written off since last night hit by a stolen/speeding tractor (those big ones) Shocked , on my way to work, so kind of stuck now at what to do, im about to beg yard owner to throw some hay out till something is sorted. anyone know of a cheap 4x4 for sale? Very Happy
Jovi
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Lordy Kay,you alright? Shocked

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

god knows how but im fine, unlike my poor 'bus'.. the door wont open, the wheel is kind of tucked under its self, the wing is crumpled but still sort on on still have no idea where the lights/mirror went Shocked, and some pretty amazing indent/marks alond the whole car. oh and the spring/struts have gone. thankfully only me inside i carried on to work (100 meters) done my job and got hubby to bring a doll to tow back.

i knew it was going to hit, narrow lane with all light on full including working light so blinded you (10pm) with no tempted to slow, so i throw car it into verge and braked and just let it hit, nothing i could do.. thankfully others weren't hit further on at the cross road as just drove straight through no stopping/speeding and lights full on.. according to other witnesses at the cross roads Evil or Very Mad .
prettyperfectpaulie
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad your ok kay !!

Willie, 6yr Clydesdale gelding
Henry, 22 month Shire gelding
Archie, 12 month Shire colt
love them all to death !!
Jovi
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow,Thank goodness you swerved and got that far out of its path...and that you are ok.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Gosh Kay, how scary for you. Crazy buggers out there. Hope you find a replacement 4x4 soon. Couldnt live with out mine, even though my OH hates it as its cost us a fair bit of money this year (he says its a pup but I love it!)
Domane
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh God, Kay..... it's not been your few months has it! Sad Thank goodness you are OK xxx
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

i find it rather amusing that my life is never normal, i can say i have lived. Very Happy. i wasn't in shoock or nothing as so many stupid things happen that im just 'oh well'.

like only two days ago trooper managed to walk through wire fencing (someones elses summer field, as asked if i could give him some fresh grazing) his is fence and rail... anyway he was walking around loose for few hours with load of traffic going on as clay shoot on.. no-one tried to catch him as only trooper. its very relaxed and no harm would of come to him. most places wuold of freaked but because its him (and me) its fine, no-one upset , actually yard owner phoned me asking if i wanted some free hay as needs the space. Shocked

says alot about us, far to laid back, sure its not normal to let a 17h+ colt roam. and beside he got his fresh grazing too from the hay fields Very Happy
Jovi
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing Laughing Laughing lot to be said for being laid back Very Happy

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic