The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Scratching and Scratching! View next topic
View previous topic
Shiremum
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Help please if you can!

My 3yo filly is scratching her face, mane and ears when i bring her in for her tea. It's got to the point where some of her mane is coming out and she's losing the fur on the front of her ears and on her cheekbones Sad

A second issue is that her back legs are SO greasy. I only washed them yesterday and yet today they are back to thick grease Sad

I don't know if the 2 things are related but i washed her in hibiscrub just in case it was mites...

Poor thing is making a right mess of her face and i just don't know what to do for best?? I've considered Lice powder (not on her face though?), SpotOn and Dectomax but what do you think i should do??

Thanks in advance!!

Clyde the Clydesdale RIP
Dothan Grey Lad
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We had a cob come in for breaking at the end of last year and he started doing exactly the same, except within about 3/4 days you could see the mites on his neck, the vet gave him a mite injection and recomended we dose him and everything that he'd worn in deosect. It worked really well and he'd stopped scratching by the following day.

If thats any use!
Loubie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Poor thing, it does sound like lice so think about using powder or deosect, both work quite quickly. Speak to your vet if you are unsure
Hibiscrub won't help with mites, its just an antibacterial wash
Shiremum
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah didn't know that, thought it might be better than nothing though Smile

Clyde the Clydesdale RIP
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

with the ear being itchy i would too look at mites or prehaps something like a ear infection that would also make them want to itch ears/face.
Shiremum
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just a quick update.. Vet has said it looks like sweet itch! So my poor girl is in before dusk and out after dawn with Kill Itch applied. This is for 3 weeks so we'll see if there's any improvement. My question is, I understand sweet itch is caused by midges, yet there weren't any around just recently due to the high winds, can sweet itch continue to appear even when midges aren't present?

Thanks for everyone's advice so far Smile

Clyde the Clydesdale RIP
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Im no vet, but i would of thought if sweet-itch it would of started earlier in the season i.e. spring?.. well glad you know what it is, but im sorry for the outcome as i truely do know how hard sweet-itch CAN be to manage. my first pony has it and we still own him 11 years later.
Shiremum
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm rather hoping it's a misdiagnosis but however we have to manage it, she is my baby and won't be going anywhere

It could well have been around since spring but her field has nothing for her to scratch on and it's only now I'm bringing her in to feed hard feed that she has something to use to scratch herself!

I had thought her field mate had been chewing her mane off but it looks like she was helping to scratch Lola, but being a bit enthusiastic about it Sad

Clyde the Clydesdale RIP
angela
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hi, my shire has started scratching his bum in the stable, not sure if its sweet itch, as when i part the hair, it looks like dandruff Confused my friend has a secton d gelding and she has tried allsorts of sweet itch products over the years, and the only thing that has worked, and he has a 8 inch mane is Question wait for it... lard and vasoline Shocked Laughing it seems nasty and is messy, but its worked Shocked he does still have a scratch now and then, but at least he has hair Wink

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Check the ears for black fly alot around this year Sad sudacream works stops the little buggers getting in and irratating them Rolling Eyes

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've not tried this one..... But was told today to add solphur powder to feed for sweet-itch

Willie, 6yr Clydesdale gelding
Henry, 22 month Shire gelding
Archie, 12 month Shire colt
love them all to death !!
grey shire
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

inject the horse with dectomax, u can get a farmer to buy it for u and inject yourself or the vet will have it but that way it will be expensive.
IVORS MOM
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My boy has sweet itch, devistated! I also wasn't conviced it was at first as it started in the August and was quite sudden, although he has always enjoyed a good sratch, so i faffed around for ages trying to see if anythng else had triggered it but to no avail and the following year he had full blown sweet itch. i really have tried everything you could possibly do (except injections, not convince) and the best way i find to manage it is a boett or demeulenkamp rug and 'stop itch' on the exposed bits, plus a bit of sudocrem it he gets any rubs. all really good. I put off getting a rug for a year but wish i'd done it sooner now, it's given him his life back, he hates having it off now! You don't have to listern to me obviously but my advise would be if you even suspect sweet tich treat him for it now before it takes hold, it's a visious circle; once he starts itching you won't stop it! Really nothing works like a rug to stop the cause: the midge. Also i have noticed the midge around more at the moment, i always do towards the end of the year, seems to be when the cold damp dewy evenings start they seem to love it! with the long hot dry summer it may have poponed the onset in your horse as this is the only thing that will kill midge. it was always thought that extreme cold will kill them but now apparently they say they just hibinate but hot dry weather kills them as they need water to live and breed and my boy is more bothered by the midge a the moment than he has all year. Good luck
BOGGIT
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Neem oil Laughing say no more but it works wonders !!!

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

im worried i maybe in the`same boat too. trooper has some hair loss on mane (1/4) and lots if dandruff in mane/withers and shoulder, he loves his itches and is always having a good itch, i put it down to moulting.
im hoping he is itchy due to dandruff (i can hope) so bathed him yesterday in a anti-fungi shampoo stuff to see if that helps, and added oil to feed now as im told hairloss/dandruff can show if lack of fats/oils in diet Confused

guess we will know for sure in spring Sad but i may start rug hunting just to be on the safe side, thouugh doult i can afforf a beott.
Lottie LotLots
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Kay, Lottie has had on a bug buster from Premier Equine

http://www.premierequine.co.uk/acatalog/Sale.html
Lottie LotLots
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

On sale at the moment and up to a 7'3 Very Happy
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

lottie do they feel heavy or light?, as i used to have one and it felt rather heavy and worried about the sweating.

but i will more than likely get one, just hope my wages come through before sale ends.
IVORS MOM
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kay "thouugh doult i can afforf a beott", that's why i put it off for so long, but you look at the cost of all the lotions and potions whihc you will still need if even if you buy a cheaper rug beleive me it pays! again just going from experience. I have had 2 horses previously with the dreaded SI!
Lottie LotLots
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's heavier than a normal fly sheet but keeps the pesky midges out as fits snug to their body and doesn't get blown up in the wind either, haven't had to use any lotions or anything with it either on her sweet itch Very Happy
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

is there a blood test that can tell if a horse has true sweet -itch/allegies and cost?? as dont like the idea vet coming out just to look when skin complaints are the hardest things do diagnoised and normally they get them wrong.
i am really really interested as sat and watched him today for 20 mins or so (midge were about) he itched his head a few times, chest by walking into the post Confused , rolled, while rolling cured a itch via teeth too and plenty of shaking and the daily bum itch on the gate.
i really hope its moulting, but im wondering if i have been sooo stupid and missed the signs Embarassed or he has a allegy to something as currently doing some havesting in local field.

been looking has anyone got any thoughts on those made to measure sweet-itch rugs on ebay about 70/80.
Loubie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You can have some sort of test done Kay, one of my friends has had her horse tested ad it came up with a few types of tree pollen he was allergic too, rather than true sweet itch, although to look at him it looks like a classic SI so I spose it would be good to know.
I will ask her what the test consisted of as I never asked but may be worth asking your vet?
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

that would be great loubie if you could of out what is invovled in the test Very Happy as i would rather pay out and know then sit and worrying and i can hopefully do something about it.

shiremum im soo sorry for nicking your post Embarassed i got carried away Rolling Eyes
Shiremum
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's fine! Been really interesting reading all your posts Smile

Clyde the Clydesdale RIP
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

right the vet still aint got back to me about testing price, but been researching and found out that the FIRST signs for first case (starting- you know what i mean Very Happy ) are normally noticed in the autumn Crying or Very sad, which i didnt know but at least i sort of confirmed to myself it is, and what bloody bad luck i have with horses.

i now have my wages and now rug hunting, the ones on the premier equine, i am looking at the top one which covers the poll, is this the one you were on about lottie? as seen that it is advisable to cover poll but didnt know if by buying that i can get away without a facemask?? it is almost like the rambo one just a different colour and slightly cheaper.

any comments on thr rug? dont think i could get those skin tight things as fence and rail and i can just seem him itching and ripping it on the posts.
angela
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hi kay, i have seen those rugs and they seem good, i try not to spend alot on rugs, as we have barb wire fencing so they get ruined quickly Crying or Very sad even so, i allways have a rug on wob, he is scratching his bum more than his mane Confused and when i look he seems like he has bad dandruff, is this sweet itch Question i have been using t gel shampoo every week, and loads of vasiline over his tail, this has helped Wink

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

dandruff is a sign of it im afraid so it could be Crying or Very sad , it was the second thing in trooper i noticed, the non-stop itching first. He has some amazing big flakes too, which no matter on the brushing or baths/shampoo wont go way.

rug ordered Very Happy
Lottie LotLots
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lottie has the 2nd one, they didnt have the ones that covered the poll at the time i ordered on sale, but i would go for the poll covering one if it was me Wink
bulbus01
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

the year after i got henry gelded he rubbed his tail and mane off my field is by a river and surrounded by trees it was wors the second year.
I hane put an electric fence around the field so he cant rub or wreck his rug i tried a few potions none worked then stuck a fly rug on him worked a treat and at 40 cheaper than creams I pot itch stop on his face and have just ordered another fly rug which hooks on his ears to stop it riding down his neck. he can have bold batches red raw which clear up within a week of rugging

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic