The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 should i be worried about mud-fever yet?? View next topic
View previous topic
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As the title says really.
The gate is about a foot deep in mud rest of field ok so goes quite far up legs, which doesnt help as he does tend to stand by the gate a lot, waiting around for me to bring in etc.. and then lead my very muddy rat tailed friend to the stable were it will hopefully dry over night, as always been told not to wash feathers as makes thing worse.

so far it feels dry at the skin but very worried that it only time before it gets wet right through, should i be to worried at this point or start some how by putting a barrier cream on him through those feathers?

though i must admit i do (couple days a week) wash his hoofs so gets a lil wet on legs so i can at least pick out his feet (and trot across on the other days to dis-lodge stones/mud Laughing )
Loubie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oil Kay! bestest thing in the world. Mud wont even get to the skin. Sound like your mud is worse than ours and I have stepped up our oiling already (and I found a scab behind a knee so I have been proper lax!)
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

doing the oil, though i guessi could be doing it more often.

his field gate is the only one up the yard that muddy, he stands and spins and canters and bucks in tiny little hoops when he see me showing me im not fast enough and when he see's his dinner. or pawing the ground. thankfully he does not act like this in the stable.
Loubie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds like you may need to do it a bit more ofter then. Our gateways are just as bad but its pretty dry so far (not quite welly loss level yet!) What I found helped was to put a bit of a leccy tape 'box' inside the gate (like a catching pen type thing) to stop them standing in the worst of it when waiting to come in

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic