The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 my first feed question, one or two feed?. View next topic
View previous topic
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

i have still got my boy on only one fed, with any horse i normally up to two over winter, but with it being so mild and the grass still kind of there (still having slight green poo's), i just felt the trigger to add another has not come yet.

just wondering if i should stick with the one feed or up it to two?, he is maintaing weight well and has 6 slices of hay in stable at night, 3 slices in two nets a big hole and a small hole (thoery he dont go hungry as can eat all in big hole and wastes times with the small) im weird i know (a bale will last 3 days ish) Embarassed

he is fed sugarbeet/alfa-a oil and some baileys number 4 (condition). with either or a mix bread (his fav), carrots, peeling, apples, pears.

should i add a small second meal in or leave things as they are?.
Loubie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would judge it on your routine, you can easily split one feed into two if it suits.
Samson is in at night now but still having a token effort feed wise as he doesnt need it.
Ours are fed as a yard in the morning so I dont think its fair for him to miss breakfast and its nice to have a routine. He just gets a hanfull off chaff and half his Formula4feet and same again for tea.
I am even feeding oat straw already, mixed in with his hay. I prefer him to have enough hay to last the night so he would be a right fat so if I gave him that much hay (they hay I have is quite good quality at the moment). He is still pigging out on grass all day!
prettyperfectpaulie
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I feed 2 all year, the babys are on 3 all depends what he needs and what you can fit in kay tho as a rule little and often is better if you can

Willie, 6yr Clydesdale gelding
Henry, 22 month Shire gelding
Archie, 12 month Shire colt
love them all to death !!
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

as he is coming home this weekend i could fit in another (little and often), but i wont up the amount just spilt as he would be moving on to grass that has had 6 months growing, its not the greatest of grass, but better than nothing.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic