The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Help Needed with Feeding Again View next topic
View previous topic
Ditsy Mare
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi again! Long time no see.

I'm needing some help.

Some of you may remember Bisto and his oesophageal balloon. Well... it's causing us some grief. I have a horrible feeling we may very well be nearing the end of the road.

I managed Bistos weight reasonably through the winter until late January when we realised my youngster was stealing Bistos food. Almost overnight Bisto dropped a massive amount of weight. The boys were seperated and Bistos number of feeds increased.

However, 3 months later I can't get his weight up. He was on 4 feeds a day alternating sugar beet, high fibre cubes and build up cubes in massive quantities to get fibre into him as well as a high calorie feed. The vets agree with me that he was getting enough. He ate well enough for about a month and loved his new feed but over the last 2 days he appears to have stopped eating. He has completely gone off sugar beet (the cheapest easiest and tastiest way of getting easily digestable fibre in to him) and most recently is going off his cubes.

He has to have his cubes soaked due to his condition and he is on about 1.5 acres of lush ungrazed pasture all to himself yet he doesn't seem to be eating.
Today the only way I can get him eat any food is to put 1kg of food into his treat ball and even then he played with it for about 5 minutes spilt most of it on the floor and went and stood in the corner of his field not eating.

He's not depressed, he'll eat anything out of my hand but just doesn't seem interested in food despite me even adding mollasses for flavouring (something i know he loves).

Any bright ideas? If he's going to stop eating he doesn't leave me with many options - he's underweight now and i refuse to watch him deteriorate but I just don't know what to do anymore.

Sad
Holdfast
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Teeth checked?
Ditsy Mare
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They have been done recently but i'll get the vet to have a look when she's out wednesday. I hadn't thought of that... Embarassed
Simon
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would suggest a horse dentist rather than a vet, its just that in this case i think you should have someone take a look who specializes in this.
BOGGIT
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

are they still seperated or is it only at feed times!!

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Still separated permanently. I have the vet coming out because of his other problems - I'm worried that something just isn't right about him but i'll get her to have a look and see if they need doing and then get my dentist out to sort him if there's a problem.
IVORS MOM
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Ditsy Mare, just read your previous post as wasn't familiar with your problem, so sorry to her what it is, sounds awful. I don't have any experience of anything like this but i did have real trouble keeping weight on my youngster. I've tried everything under the sun, deff agree with the previous replies regarding barley not being a good idea for heavies, but also don't really agree with mixes and cubes etc - lots of baulk and not a lot else, just an opionion, but really didn't work for my boy, everything upsets him and he's not one for eating much too, if you give him a big feed he'll just leave it so i have to give him as much as poss in not a lot of volume - quality not quantity! something i wasn't used to as i only ever had good doers before! anyway, we have settled on kwikbeet, hifi and feedmarks original balancer. He has been on this for 2 years now and looks brilliant, just enough weight for a growing youngster. the original balancer has all the vit and mins conditioning ingredients and probotics in it so the gut can utilise all the food they are receiving, i fed him the full 4 scoops recommended for hard work or youngster until this spring (he's just 4 now)and have now cut it down to the normal 3 scoops and he's still looking fab. He only has 1 scoop of hifi and 4 mugs dry weight of kwickbeet, plus hay/grass and the supplement and keeps weight on better than ever. Might not suit but thought it was worth mentioning if your running out of options maybe worth a go.
Ditsy Mare
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks guys.

Vet came out checked his teeth (in perfect working order not enough to even warrant a quick rasp), no abcesses, ran a full blood profile and nothing has come up except a very slightly low red blood cell count. For this he's on a short course of Redcell...

He's been really fussy but I have got him eating although it embarasses me what's been needed to get there. The plus is he's eating his supplements and medication etc and I'm now getting 6kg of feed down his neck during the day as well as his grazing. Vet has said if he's not gained weight in the next 4-8 weeks to call them again as then there might be something going on we can't see that isn't showing in the bloods.
prettyperfectpaulie
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Fingers crossed he picks up for you Very Happy

Willie, 6yr Clydesdale gelding
Henry, 22 month Shire gelding
Archie, 12 month Shire colt
love them all to death !!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic