The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Question Regarding frontline. View next topic
View previous topic
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,
Thought I would seek advice before I even consider this option, regarding mites, I know there is the jab ( which was done about 4wks but still notice itching), pig oil, and the front line spray, which I will be trying next, but on another forum I read someone uses the pipettes, one for each leg I'm guessing the large dog one.
Would they really work?? Anyone tried it??
As would really save time, and my horse is a little nervous with the hinds i don't want to, if I can help it sit there playing with the hind feathers.
Thanks.
Loubie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have only even known people use the spray but no reason why the spot on wouldn't wrk I suppose. Hopefully someone will offer some help around dosage.
How are you doing with your new one?
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, Loubie things are getting there slowly, still working with getting a closer bond ( typical mare), though it is such a change not having to to buy so much feed/ hay at one point thought something was a little off as I'm used to a whole bale being eaten in 24hr not a few slices :0).
Anyway haven't really been on here as felt wrong with not having a heavy horse, only my little heavy weight cob, but I do like to have a poke about anything feather related :0).

How's the baby Loubie? And if course your lads feet, as remember he had trouble.
Shiremum
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My boy has such trouble with his legs, I do a dectomax jab then a further dectomax jab 4weeks later, seems to do the trick. This year the vet said the mites are at their worst because they hate sunlight so generally go away in summer with the warmth and light but this year we haven't had a summer and it's been soo wet!!

Pig oil is fab for mudfever but pig oil and flower of sulphur mixed is good for killing mites and their eggs.

Good Luck!

Clyde the Clydesdale RIP
Loubie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

kay wrote:
Hi, Loubie things are getting there slowly, still working with getting a closer bond ( typical mare), though it is such a change not having to to buy so much feed/ hay at one point thought something was a little off as I'm used to a whole bale being eaten in 24hr not a few slices :0).
Anyway haven't really been on here as felt wrong with not having a heavy horse, only my little heavy weight cob, but I do like to have a poke about anything feather related :0).

How's the baby Loubie? And if course your lads feet, as remember he had trouble.

I don't really do mares! Far too much negotiating to be done! Glad you are enjoying her.
Baby is good, he is 13 weeks old now, am loving maternity leave. Samson is very happy with yet another period of retirement! Still living out but I think I will have to bring him in at night soon. Fields are a mess.

Regarding the dectomax jab, not that Sam has ever had it but doesn't it need to be repeated after a few weeks? Don't know if I am recalling that wrong?
Shiremum
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Every horse is different but generally speaking I give dectomax twice in a 4wk period and that's it for winter for my boy Smile

Clyde the Clydesdale RIP
Holdfast
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

kay wrote:
Hi,
I know there is the jab ( which was done about 4wks but still notice itching),

Hi Kay, I have Shires, and this is what my vet said about treating for mites:

Mites burrow under the skin, so although pig oil and sulphur has some benefits for feather, it won`t get rid of mites.

The Dectomax jab must be repeated, otherwise the first jab will kill mites, but in a few weeks, more will hatch, and hence you will notice your horse is still itching, so book that second visit when the first jab goes in.
I have found this works, (having the second dose).

I have also tried the Frontline spray, and that particular gelding does "snatch" his hinds about, mainly when he is itchy with mites. I used to wear gloves and really soak his skin, I had a large spray from the vet, and could adjust the nozzle to give a jet, this would get onto the skin (good) as against the hair (bad) rather than a wide spray which would miss the skin.
I warmed the bottle so that it wouldn`t be a cold shock! With someone talking to him, he was calmer than I expected
Again, this should be repeated. However, the vets told me I needn`t have put so much on!

Other random points, some horses can carry mites but not get itchy, so infection can spread that way. Mites can live in bedding, or just about anything like shavings forks etc. So it is a nightmare problem.

I haven`t tried the pipettes, but rather than guess which size to use, if it were me, I would definitely ask the vet for correct dosages, and advice on when to repeat, otherwise it could be a waste of time. Try warming them, and she may not notice it going on.

Good luck Very Happy
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you all for the replies, i will get the jab from the vet ( as here I can get jab and do myself, without call out fee), would I need a second after this one
im going to do at the wkend, to kill the hatching eggs?
I wasn't sure on the amount off jabs/ when as the vets all diff I have heard of some places refusing to sell for horses, some says once, and repeats from wks to couple months.
My vet will not comment only saying its not really for horses and some need one jab or more, ask about repeats a little vage, and we need to sign to take on full responiability.
BOGGIT
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi kay reason for this is thier is a possibility of death from the injection it is very rare but does happen, the injection has to be done subcutaniosley so make sure you get dose right and half in either side of neck, you can also try dusting stable / horse/ feathers etc with diatomaceous earth its used a lot in animal and poultry housing it kills off the mites and larvae eggs etc and is completely harmless to livestock,and a big 25kg bag is only about 30 ( less if you know someone who has poultry houses as they buy in bulk) Smile

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would say that the dectomax doesn't have an immediate 'magic' effect, it does take a while and sometimes itching intensifies in the immediate couple of days following the jab. My vet recommends re-injecting to kill the eggs after about 4-6weeks.

Clyde the Clydesdale RIP
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Cheers for the reply, it's nice to hear from you guys, my old friends :0). I will get the jab done this weekend, that would make it around 4-5 weeks apart.
Boggit, that is the first time I've heard about doing the jab half each side of neck, is this common where you are? We Only get the one jab so would need to do I one side then the other. We keep poultry and have many bags if stuff lying around, will get the mite stuff and will be dusting away.
BOGGIT
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It maybe the way our vets do it that is different ! But because of the amount you have to inject they do half each side Smile
Here is a link to the D,E just for reference

http://www.oaktreepoultry.co.uk/diatomaceous-earth.php?gclid=CJTA0ead67MCFe7MtAod-hMAaw

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been using Dectomax twice a year. The recommended dose is 3 shots 10 days apart. Then, if needed, repeat the same regimen 6 months later. It is administered intramuscularly. Alternate the jabs either side of the neck with each shot. Remember, Dectomax will be worming the horse at the same time. It is ivermectin, so adjust your worming schedule accordingly. I have made an unsettling observation...I am finding that the horses are super sensitised to the mites as the Dectomax starts wearing off at about the 5 months mark. My mares' reactions to the mites have become unmanageable to the point that the vet is coming out tomorrow. One of the mares looks like someone has taken a knife to her legs. I have oiled, sprayed, dusted, creamed her legs and it's a losing battle. I know the vet is going to suggest clipping off her feathers. She was never this affected before I started Dectomax several years ago.
BOGGIT
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

think the poor weather has had an adverse affect this year mites seem to be far more prevalent than in other years, because of soggy fields we have had to stable for longer periods Sad
But have found that permethrin sprayed on to the bedding is very affective and is also a very low cost solution Smile

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic