The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Teaching three year old to pick up her back feet View next topic
View previous topic
Whitewater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello, I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone could pass on their wisdom regarding getting my lovely 3 year old Pegg to pick up her back feet. She's recently had a small abscess in her front sole which having been on box rest and been poulticed daily for the past week has meant the daily wrestle into having to have her fronts picked up and she's getting quite good at that now. The backs are another matter however.

Until I had her three months ago, she had just been left to her own devices so even though she's a gigantic softy and very willing to learn, I'm slightly wary as to gently 'wrestling' with the backs being 12 weeks pregnant and although very confident around her, don't want her or I to have a bad experience and go backwards when things are currently going so well. Does anyone have any hints or tips? I'm a strong 6'1" tall and used to handling big horses... not quite this big though! Smile - Many thanks!
BOGGIT
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi white water and welcome to the forum Smile
Our lad had issues when younger with his back right, he would do the other three no prob but that leg was a no go,I used a soft long leadrope which I passed round his foot then standing at his shoulder and just a bit out put pressure on the rope ( hold both ends in your hand )and gave him the signal to lift his foot did this for about a week then tried by hand Smile he now picks his feet up by me just tapping him and saying foot:-)
The good part about the rope is you are out of harms way can't kick you if you are at shoulder just keep the pressure on and I have no doubt you will get a lot of leg shaking but keep at it ya hoss will get fed up first and you should in time have an easy time with it, keep chatting to her in a soft voice to reasure her Smile good luck and left us know how you get on

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic