The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 New to Shires, what to feed? View next topic
View previous topic
GrumpyScrumpy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi there! I'm in the process of looking at a 15 year old Shire mare to purchase... I am liking her gentle grumpiness, but am not sure what the best way to feed her is. Any suggestions for how to start? She has been left mostly unworked for months and is lacking in muscle tone but I think she is of a good weight currently. Are there feeds to avoid with this breed?... can they become "hot" on things?.... Any advice or places to look for information would be greatly appreciated.
BOGGIT
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If you arnt out on grass yet!! Then plenty of good heyledge,or if not hay find out from present owners what they have given her in the past and try and keep changes small and one at a time Smile
We only feed ours a small feed 3 times a week and that is only to get certain minerals in to them that our heyledge is short on,
and to be honest its more bulk fiber than anything else, steer clear of mollassed chops etc, beet is good senior chop and a hand full of cool mix ( any cheap one will be fine) and a slug of oil ( soya,veg or linseed is good for the coat and digestion) doubt that any of us work our neddys to the extent that warrants loads of hard feed, and overweight is not good

Hope this helps this is what works for us but all are differant and some feed loads of other stuff too, lots of luck and hope you get sorted look forward to your posts Smile

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mine is on ad lib hay with haylage mixed in. She gets alpha a chaff, sugarbeet, conditioning mix, garlic and oil. Occasionally she'll go on barley rings or baileys number 4 nuts. When I first got her the baileys number 4 went to her head a bit but now it doesnt mater what feed she's on.
RutlandH2O
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Stay with fibre, fibre, fibre. Ad lib hay, if she's not out at grass. If she is, and you've got a good quantity of grass, a haynet at night, as well. If you have your own land, be very careful about applying nitrogen to the pasture in an attempt to "up" your grass. Too many horses (and I mean heavies, as well) have been put down due to laminitis from grass that has been pushed into richness. Your horse doesn't need the high carbohydrates associated with concentrates/hard feeds. If you need to feed a "meal," something like ReadiGrass and chaff mixed with water and micronised linseed meal is perfect.

Good luck with your new girl.
Teckgoods

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The feed must be healthy one, then only stand without lacking in muscle.
Healthy horse feed always perfect.

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My lot are on as follows Shocked

22yo shirexclyde gelding - 1 scoop sugarbeet, 2 scoops applechaff, 1 scoop D&H 16+ veteran mix, glug of veg oil and splash of cider vinegar (for the joints) and carrots

10yo Clydesdale gelding - 1 scoop sugarbeet, 2 scoops applechaff, 1 scoop conditioning nuts, the correct amount for his weight in equilibra500 or bluechip pro feed balancer (depending what the store has in), veg oil and carrots

4yo Shire mare - 1 scoop sugarbeet, 2 scoops applechaff, veg oil and carrots - she shouldn't really be on any hard feed but its difficult to say no when the other 2 need it!!

Once a day for the hard food, daily turnout from sort of 7am-5pm and then a hayrack full of hay overnight. I was told that to keep condition on you should feed haylage but they've done ok on hay so far, though it is v good quality Smile

Good luck with your mare!

Clyde the Clydesdale RIP

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic