The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Why do people always blame the big horses and the rider??! View next topic
View previous topic
Georgieboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Im so for this but i have to rant to people who can feel my pain!

I'm fed up of other horsey people blaming things on my horse and myself!

I am 5'7, 9st and my horse is a 7yr old Clyde X shire at 18.2hh and fare enough we do get a few funny looks when where out hacking! Smile

But seems to be all other horsey owners see me and see my horse and tell me he's not a riding horse and that I shouldn't take him on long hacks as I do throughout the week.

I'm lucky enough to have a horse that is 100% bombproof and can be taken ANYWHERE!
We do go on 4-5 hr hacks when the weather is nice but its not like I only ride when the sun is out!
We ride either in the school or out hacking 5-6 times a week for 20mins-1hr at a time and is probably one of the fittest horses about where I live.

But recently we moved to a new yard and due to his size the owner put him in his own paddock to access his temperament (which I thought was a good idea as not many yards do this)
My boy is as docile as they breed can be! But 4 mths on and he's still by himself and today he broke through fencing which resulted in him cutting the inside of his back legs, under his belly and his face and is hopping lame Sad which the owner and another person on livery decided to blame me for what my horse has done! Saying its my fault for not riding him for a week (which is due to un fit saddle and finding it very hard to find one that fits him! But have lunged him every other day)
But apparently I shouldn't be riding him on long hacks as he's used to that which is why he has dint this today! and he shouldn't be doing those length of hacks either!! 😡 and that he is obviously not docile!
I'm sorry but not many horses can come from a herd of 13 to a paddock by himself with no other horses about for 4 mths and then not to break out! A lot of horses wouldn't last a week in a paddock by them selves after coming from a large herd!

Fare to say I was fuming today and I think people need to stop jugding shires, Clydesdales, Ardennes and many other heavy's when they see them! These horses can do twice as much (if not more) then many other horses!!

Rant over! Smile
Shiremum
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Aww he can come here and herd with my 3 Wink poor boy, my lot wouldn't like living individually either Sad xx

Clyde the Clydesdale RIP
foxylady
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes I know what you mean! I think you have and do such a great job with him! You could always do what I used to do when any of the other 'lightweight' horse owners where about, that's smile and just walk past them telling yourself that your horse is a lot better than theirs, which he is. But I found out very quickly when I was involved with showing Shires that there is such a fine line between heavy and lightweight owners, for some reason they would snub any heavy horse owner. I am sorry if I have upset people that own both heavies and lightweights. But I could tell you so many things that have happened since going alone with mine. Ha! So just keep doing the things you are doing, your not doing anything wrong whatsoever!
Tracey
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Aww bless him. Its not surprising he broke through the fence having to be in a field on his own. He needs to be in with other horses. In my experience a lot of people are scared of them because of their size but they are so laid back and friendly.

Try to take no notice. Its a pity you don't live near me you could come to mine.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic