The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Heavies going under general anaesthetic View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topicReply to topic
Author Message
Claireb
Friend in Training
Friend in Training


Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 21
Location: Farnham, Surrey

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi all,

I've not posted in a while but wanted to ask for your advice and opinions.

My boy has recently been diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the penis and the vet has recommended a phallectomy as our only treatment option. My main worry about this procedure is the risk of him surviving the GA (he would be under for approx 2hours). From the research I've found, maintaining his blood pressure and lung function would be the primary risk, followed by the pressure on his internal organs and spine from compression of his body weight. He is 15 years old, 17.1 and weighs approx 850kg.

The vet practice has performed this procedure quite extensively but never on a heavy. They have advised that they only typically put heavies under approx 5 times a year with varying results, as there aren't that many around.

I would be really grateful to hear your experiences and thoughts.

Thanks in advance!
View user's profileSend private message
Holdfast
Master Friend
Master Friend


Joined: 05 Apr 2009
Posts: 475

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Claireb, I am sorry your horse has this.


http://vetstream.co.uk/equis/Content/Disease/dis01100?oo=0

My opinion is that it looks as though left alone, the carcinoma might be an aggressive type, whereas if the op goes well, there is a chance of a good outcome. I would be guided by the vet. Is it Liphook Equine Clinic? or Scott Dunns, maybe? Both pretty good.
I would trust to fate if it were me, because not treating it, would not be good.
Hopes and thoughts with you and your boy.
View user's profileSend private message
Claireb
Friend in Training
Friend in Training


Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 21
Location: Farnham, Surrey

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Holdfast,

Thanks for your reply.

Sadly I'm fully aware of the implications of not treating it. My dilemma is should I let nature take its course in whatever time frame that is (vets don't know), or put him through surgery and risk him dying on the table. At present he is fit and healthy and is not affected by the cancer in any way. I'm not sure I want to risk killing him by operating on him when he may have months or years left.

I'm thinking that I might wait until i need to take action as the cancer is only a locally invasive form and then it would either be pts or risk him going under a GA.

I was hoping that there would be owners of heavies who have either had the same disease, or owners that have put theirs under GA, so I could get some first hand information to help support my decision.
View user's profileSend private message
Claireb
Friend in Training
Friend in Training


Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 21
Location: Farnham, Surrey

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh sorry, to add it is Liphook.
View user's profileSend private message
BigBum
Senior Friend
Senior Friend


Joined: 26 Mar 2010
Posts: 188
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Firstly, I would just like to say how very sorry I am to hear that you and your boy are going through this.

If it were me, I think I would give him every chance possible as if operated and comes through can lead a happy life as opposed to letting nature take its course which he may well suffer and deteriorate quickly, also waiting undergoing the GA when he is older would be even more risky
But having said all of this, you will do what ever is right for your boy
Not sure if this will help, but my Shire Coster (which most people on here know is the apple of my eye) had Colic Surgery over 3 years ago now, he was under for 4 hours and was up an hour later. His recovery was not to bad considering what he had been through however, he did gain trauma to his larynx from the tubing and is now unrideable.
Coster is 18.2hh and weighs in at 950kg. He was 10 when he had the surgery.
I wish you all the best and please feel free to ask any questions
Welcome to the forum by the way Very Happy
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailMSN Messenger
Claireb
Friend in Training
Friend in Training


Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 21
Location: Farnham, Surrey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hiya

Sorry, I've only just seen your reply.

I'm still waiting for the insurance company to confirm if try will pay for it, so no further forward!

Thanks for sharing our experience.
View user's profileSend private message
Display posts from previous:      
Post new topicReply to topic


 Jump to:   



View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum