The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 National Shire Horse Show View next topic
View previous topic
foxylady
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!Did any one go to the National show this year?! We went yesterday (Sunday). What is going on? We talked to stallholders, general public and breeders to name a few. It was such a let down, not only with numbers of exhibitors but also the number of general public. We was told that there was a number of issues that needed to be ironed out and hopefully this will be done for the next show. + has anybody else noticed that a lot of small shires (height wise) are slipping through the net. We talked to one breeder and showman of great importance and he said that this becoming a more and more common sight. And the number of Shires crossed with Clydesdales is ruining the breed, as the Clydesdale gene will always be with that Shire. Yes I know this will upset a lot of people, but those that care for the breed should stand up to the society and put a stop to it. I mean you don't have Suffolk/Percheron etc crossed with for example a Shire shown in a breed class, why do it to such a great horse. A few people have commented that no-one wants to do anything because the society/breeders would loose to much money. But at the end of the day we are going to loose a rare and special horse. And as many noble people say, and I'm sure you've heard it all before. "where are all the best Stallions......Abroad"! A few years from now we will have to import them back to improve the blood lines. I know a very few that have started to do this.
johnbr3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We went to the show, I have contemplated showing since last year. I was put off at the Autumn show for a number of reasons, firstly didn't really like the way the breeders/sellers treat the horses and also found that a lot of them are just ignorant.

So re-considered and was very excited to go to the show at weekend, weather on Saturday was absolutely freezing and I was surprised by lack of attendees and yet again saw poor handling and maybe me, but is it always the same faces that are entering and winning?

Very disillusioned with the society and a lot of breeders/sellers, its not about this special breed, its all money and no more. . .

On a good point, a few of the stalls were good and I bought some gear form some very nice friendly knowledgeable people, who also shared my view on how some were handling their horses. . .

well, I will continue to do my thing in my way with my big girl and stay away from the society! Rolling Eyes

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic