The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Electrify the Stable ??? View next topic
View previous topic
Bev
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi everyone. I would appreciate anyone's advice on a problem I have. Our belgium draft 3 yro gelding (Troy) likes to have a gool old rub on gates, stables, etc. The problem is as he is so big they tend to give way under his weight. My friend said she had been to a big agricultural show and they had heavy horses and their stables had electric fencing around to stop them knocking them down.

I have breeze block stables covered with timber which my dad kindly built me about 2 years ago. He doesn't think they will withstand rubbing from our big horse and the way I have designed them is that they have been designed for the horses to go in and out from the field to stable as they wish with doors left open.

The other day I put electric fencing all round the edge of the stable and allowed the horses free roam of stables so they can get shelter if they want it but cannot rub. Unfortunately Troy found out about the electric fence by getting his head under a part of it where I was doing the water and freaked out when he put his head up and got a shock - I also think he associates it with me too. He is now very scared about coming into the yard full stop even if his feed is there.

If he goes into the stable and gets a shock then I'm worried he will be too scared to go into stables again.

If I take the electric fence down then how do I stop him rubbing stables down - what does everyone else do? I can't afford to replace stables and also one of the horses may get injured if he did push them down.

I've checked him for lice etc, can't find anything wrong with him, think he just likes to rub sometimes like they all do.

I feel really guilty that I've made him that scared but just thought it would be like the electric fence in the field where they learn not to go near it and that would solve the problem.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Shirecaleb
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have never heard about using electric fencing inside the stable & honestly I'd never do that myself. I don't have the problem with my boy rubbing down the stable, but the top is built from steel so no damage is done.
Have you tried to put up some itching mats on the walls?
Using a mane & tail shampoo for rubbing will probably help a bit as well, I use one called 'no rub' on my boy & it seems to help.
http://www.morganhorse.co.uk/no-rub-x-500-ml-p-1003.html
grey shire
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

we had one like that rubbing the stable walls like mad scraping himself on any surface. get the vet to give him an injection to make him more comfortable from allergies, and inject him with dectomax incase its skin mites driving him nuts, it really helps to do this. also keep him fly rugged 24/7 from march til october and dont get a cheapy one he'll rip it to shreds and only turn him out at night when its dark and flies are gone, keep him inside all day. he could have an allergy to pollen or something else so the injection will sort him out.
electric fencing will stop him touching the sides of fields or stables but he will be desperately uncomfortable and will just probably roll like crazy to relieve it
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

i dont know what to do about the stable situation tough one, maybe prehaps build one next door with blocks?.. currently my lad is itchy too, but i have noticed he is mouting getting ready for autum, could this also explain the itching at mo, so i may settle down.
Loubie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have never heard of electric fencing inside either? Unless your stables are very large I dont think I would consider it.
Mine is in a timber framed box and unfortunately its just par for the course that sometimes he breaks it! Usually just the door frame, its had a good few repairs!
May be try the scratch patch suggestion? and check there is not a reason for his itching. But I dont really have any others sugestions, sorry.

Hope you find a solution
rextara
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

First of all, I would let examine him why he is rubbing himself? Mites, Flyes, Allergy???

Then try to put something on his mane-neck. Soomething like this: http://www.spiritshop.be/Halsdeken_zomereczeem-details.aspx

It might look ridicioulos, but could help.

I would NOT electrify the stable.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't agree with it, horses need to have a scrach, but I have seen it at all the big yards I've been too, spray some pig oil into the main it works 100 % on mine.

Willie, 6yr Clydesdale gelding
Henry, 22 month Shire gelding
Archie, 12 month Shire colt
love them all to death !!
shiregirl85
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Can you not put some of that rubber rubbing stuff on somewhere that he cant knock down, like a big tree or something?

My girl sometimes likes to rub her head on her stable door once her bridles come off and she once lifted it off the rails. Now, if I catch her doing it I spray some water at her, really lightly just to distract her not to punish her. Now she's taken to rubbing it against her haynet which is fine although she ends up looking like worzel gumidge. Maybe you could try some aversion techniques that are not painful or hugely shocking just distract them from what they're doing.
Holdfast
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No, I would not electrify the stable either Shocked

I know it's frustrating but let's face it they all get itchy especially on sticky hot days with midges about. I'd rather have a horse looking a bit scruffy but happy, than one in misery.

Big horses need heavy duty kit and stables etc. Sorry.
Best of all, turn him out.
sebastianw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You can probably get some mixture to treat the walls so that you could take the insects away.

I am not that sure if it is a good idea to electrify the fences as I think that they can be hazardous though you are already familiar with it, there can be those days.

I have nothing with letting them rubbing down on the stable as long as they keep it considerable.
BOGGIT
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

you could try one of these Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

DeLaval stationary cow brush B1

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing Do you know what? I actually think the Boys would really love one of those! What a brilliant idea.
There could be one in the paddock too - no danger of poking their eyes out on a tree branch. Cool
gretchen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

kay wrote:
i dont know what to do about the stable situation tough one, maybe prehaps build one next door with blocks?.. currently my lad is itchy too, but i have noticed he is mouting getting ready for autum, could this also explain the itching at mo, so i may settle down.

cannot agree more!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic