The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Stable Size View next topic
View previous topic
Loubie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi all,

I have had sam for over 2 weeks now and love him to bits.He is a 17h Shire. Am constantly surprised by his size, even though I worked with Shires for several years and am comfortable with is size I have never needed such big stuff (bridles/sadles even travel bandages!) just makes me laugh now and have resigned myself to the fact that he is going to be the most expensive equine I have ever had the pleasure to own.
He has settled really well, I only have one concern; there are 30 odd boxes at my DIY livery yard and there was only one free which is 11ft by12ft. I said to the yard owner straight away that this woudnt do and they bent the rules slightly so I could leave him living out even in the first few weeks, in a small paddock (which he escaped from after 4 days - electric fence seems to have no effect) he is only in for a few hrs a day to eat.
All the other boxes are 12 x 12 apart from 2. One houses a 17h hunter and the other a 15h horse. Now I would never ask someone to swap boxes but I am now worrying about what i am going to do in the winter (all horses have to be in at night)
Am I being a real wuss or does anyone agree that this would be unsafe? I worry about him getting cast.
There is a separate isolation box that the yard owner said I could move him to in the winter if I wanted to, but it is well away from the yard and he would be on his own. He has settled so well I'm not sure if I should risk it.
Obviously I am getting all sorts of opinions from me being too much of a worrier to it being far too small. In all fairness, I know owning a Shire is very different to a normal size horse and not sure what to think.
Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Lou x
just fed th'os
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Lou

My 17h 2in Clydesdale is in a box thats 12 x 14'6" or there abouts in a barn. Happy no issues. Before the barn was built he was in a 12'x12', he looked huge in the door way but again there were no issues he seemed happy and never had any problem. Like yours, mine is out most of the time but in on a night over winter.
When the barn was built the owner offered to make one box a little bigger for mine, so I wasn't going to turn it down.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic