The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 lifting feet View next topic
View previous topic
les

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hi could anyone help, i have a grey shire who is about seven years old, when he gets his feet done he will transfer his body weight onto myself holding him or the farrier if he is doing his back feet. He lets you pick his feet up no problem but after a short time seems a bit unstable on three legs, the farrier says his hock seems a bit stiff, can anyone help
Lizzy
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds like a bad habit to me Les but if you are concerned about his hock your best bet is to speak to your vet. There could be all sorts of reasons why he is leaning, one of our mares does it, but it's a bad habit she started when she was a yearling and we weren't tough enough with her at the time. It is now an annoying habit from a very large horse and breaking her of it is almost impossible.

Last edited by Lizzy on Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tracey
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Les. Put him an halter on and when he starts leaning give the halter a big riggle with the rope. This is not a harsh method. It has worked for me and I have had no end of trouble. No harm in trying. Let us know how you go on. Very Happy
Morph
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

oh bless - my old shire does that too! As I couldn't lift her feet a year or so ago, I'm leaving her to it, as she's old and I don't mind too much....but that's actually no help at all to you is it Les Smile

I like the grey bit too - very nice!!!
les

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

thanks to you all for the kind information, i dont think its anything i need a vet for, im putting it down to the fact he doesnt normal have his feet up for so long and cant distribute his weight properly. Im hoping lifting them regular may cure this, unless any one knows diffrent, lol, les
Tracey
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes Les picking up feet every day should do the trick too. If you need any more info feel free to ask or read my post Picking up feet. The kind information from all helped me loads Very Happy
Holdfast
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

les, I had exacty that problem too.
Senior horse when young, rooted himself to the ground. Was a devil to get him to pick any of them up. Now he's a dream Very Happy
Junior horse, picks them up quickly enough, but puts them down fast, or rocks and leans on you til your nose is on the ground Rolling Eyes
Actually he's pretty good now. But just be really consistent, go round in the same order each time, be pleased with small steps, never loose your temper, and with time it does get better. It's a bit embarassing re the farrier though

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic