The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 stable pic View next topic
View previous topic
les

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi does anyone have a pic of there stable for there shire, my shire is out side but want to bring him in in winter and not shure how big a box he will need , thanks , Les
Lizzy
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Huge with a high roof, a bar gate (lots of air circling) and ours are traditional with hogging flooring, i.e. no concrete, which aids drainage. Bed up on wood shavings.

The stable walls need to be very strong because shires have a habit of rubbing their bums when they are bored and they can soon demolish all but the toughest of walls. Laughing
les

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

thanks lizzy , do you have a picture of it by any chance, cheers, les
Lizzy
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Les I am sure I have some with the horses poking their heads out but goodness knows where they are. I will try and find some for you.
valerie n scout
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

oh champion pics of beasties, looking forward to them Lizzy xxx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I could go up there and take some photos while they are turned out but quite frankly I have got so many piccies of horses, stables, fields, harness, lorries, more horses, more harness and on and on and on........ I don't really want anymore. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Lizzy
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay, here is one, taken during my black and white era Laughing , about 9 years ago. The stables are about 14 ft x 12 ft and the flooring has been dug out, and as I said no concrete. They were made from disused railway sleepers with wooden walls and a corrugated roof.

The railway sleepers are laid on the floor and are used as the uprights, they are also used to go across the stables and the wooden walls are screwed to them. Having had horses in them for 30+ years and only the odd bit of maintenance needed, I would highly recommend them.

You need to make sure the horses have enough head room and enough space, to lay down without getting caste and can turn around and don't feel claustrophobic.

One thing to bear in mind is that if you have gates that slot on to upright hinge posts like we do, put split pins in the holes or the horse will lift the cast iron gate off it's hinges, step over it and go walk about. As you can guess that happened to us and with that particular mare. Shocked

The mare you can see has got straw on the ground because she is going to a show the following day and we always bed up on straw after they have been prepared for a show.
Holdfast
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Re all your pics lizzy, don't want to sound bossy, but do write on the backs who,what,when,where. I speak as someone currently trying to sort several generations worth of photos here. The next generation will thank you for it. (but you probably do it anyway)
Your wooden floors are the first I have heard of in Britain. I spoke to someone last year who had worked in Sweden, and that place had wooden floors. Then I read about them in a Swedish book, then I read about them in Lynn Millar's book (USA).
It is much better I believe. I have to have concrete at livery on this farm, but if I ever get to build my own I will def. use wood. Warm soft etc. Concrete is bad for people and bad for horses. I use v. heavy rubber mats under bedding. Concrete has caused hock and shoulder injuries as well as cosmetic wearing off of feather on mine. At previous home not permitted to use mats Rolling Eyes Even tho I make v v deep beds here, they scrape down to the floor when they get up and down
You obviously find the tar doesn't come off on them on hot days.
valerie n scout
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

she has a lovely face lizzy x Wink

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

oh yes, -sorry Very Happy forgot to say the girly is beautiful
Black and white is evocative
Holdfast
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hang on a mo, I misunderstood. The floors aren't r w sleepers, but hogging- what's that? Is it gravel and clay mix.? Sorry lizzy
Tracey
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh I do love looking at your phot's Lizzy. Our barn WAS a field shelter but it blew down in the bad winds about 3 years ago. The floor that was in it was hardcore and when the horses went in they pooed it filled in all the gaps. I find it is a good floor because of the drainage.

When we rebuilt it it was built with telegraph poles and the section we were having made into a stable for Ruby the poles were cemented in. She has lots of head high. For the doors we used a field gate and attached hardboard to the inside so that she couldn't get her feet through and cause injury. For the sides of the barn we used tin sheets half way up then used wooden slats on the top half so that the wind can pass through. (Making sure we don't loose this building to the wind). Because we only have tin sheets I have had to run electric fence around Ruby's stable to stop her rubbing. Her stable is about 24ftx14ft. Hope this helps. Very Happy
Lizzy
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh HF, if only I was that organised. The problem is we have boxes and boxes of photos, some in the loft and it would take a year and day to sort all of them out. I always write on the show ones and the rosettes as well but the others, sorry no.

Right the floor was dug out and then sharp sand, gravel and the natural soil was mixed together to a substantial depth. The stables back on to a field and drainage can sometimes be a problem because they back into the SW and all the nasty windy weather that brings. They have drainage holes at the back and are on a very, very, very slight gradient. The middle of the stables are also slightly dipped, all to encourage drainage. We have no need for rubber matting (in the lorry yes but not the stables) with a mix of the soft(ish) floor and the wood shavings they are very snug in the winter.

Thanks for the compliments about the photos. Embarassed Wink

That mare is possibly the most beautiful, stunning, loving, artful, playful girl in the whole world and she is most definitely my favourite. Big lass too. Laughing
Boots
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Lizzy, such a sweetie looking mare - bet she's as gentle as she looks! how tall is she?
Lizzy
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Boots, she is about 18 hh.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic