The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 What should I feed my shire View next topic
View previous topic
Hannah
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello everybody my name is Hannah and a few months ago now me and my husband bought a gorgeous 15 month old shire colt names dougie. We bought him from a field and did all the relevant checks he came from Matthew Gregory king we are aware of a lot of bad press and we have had a few issues but never with dougie himself just the way they do their job lol. Dougie is now 17 months old and living in at the moment unable to go out because he has yet to be gelded a long and probably expensive story but basically we have not found anything thereto cut off yet lol and the yard he is on has no separate paddocks for him to graze in, we are in the process of blood tests and god knows what else with the vets but it may take a little while and I have noticed that the has stopped putting weight on and may even be dropping a little. I know this is because of being in all the time and it being so cold so he gets as much good quality hay as he can eat along with other enrichment plus as much excersise as we can offer him in the menage.

Up until he started to loose a little weight he was on a handful of alfa a oil morning and night just so that he had something whilst the horses around him had their feed but we have recently added half a scoop of young stock mix spillers in an attempt to keep his weight up. Gradually since we started him on this he has developed a very runny tummy the only thing that has changed is the young stock mix so I am wondering if anybody could help me with why this would happen and what I should feed him on to keep him healthy and strong through the cold winter.

Thank you for reading this and any replys would be great I'm not a novice we own a thoroughbred too I have just never had a youngster or heavy horses before and want to be able to give him what is best for him thanks guys.

BOGGIT
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi hannah and welcome to the forum,
no right or wrong with what you feed your hoss like most somethings work, others don't. Shires in general are good doers so try to keep to cool mix's
chop, alfalfa ,beet , soya oil or veg oil , old bread just mix and match to what suits your ned
we feed our 4 yr old
Alfalfa with apple
beet
cool mix
soya oil
withs bread and veg, apples etc added as and when they are about
also co's of work load we add vitamins and superfex for joints etc
hope this helps
also we are on hayledge about 3 -3 1/2 net's per day

global herbs do a powder for the run's check the web site Smile

PS we got our lad from king's too mathews mum is great Smile still in touch
Hannah
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you for your help after reading these replys I'm afraid that we have been failing him in the amount of food he is getting like I said we were advised badly obviously and all he is getting is half a scoop of young stock mix and a handful of alfa I feel like a bad mum poor thing lol. With him being stabled will sugar beat or anything like that make him go a bit hyper lol really thank you so much though.
grey shire
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

my filly is 20 months old, shes out through the day, in at night and she has 3 large scoops of sugarbeet, loads of chaff, barley rings and a splash of veg oil once a day. and haylage on tap xx
grey shire
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

your ot a bad mum, your a great one cos u care.
Hannah
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks again we are defiantly not feeding the poor sod enough so do shires cope with sugar beat and other things like that better than throughbreds I think that's why this is hard for me to get my head around cos we have an ex racer too and with his feeds it's about avoiding as much sugar and energy food as poss cos he climbs the walls lol dougie is in for a while until we can get him gelded so I don't wanna hype him up that's all.
grey shire
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

yes TB s and shires are completely different. you couldnt possibly have 2 horses more opposite.
my friends a breeder of shires and her weanling foals are brought into the stables late oct til winter ends and they are on 2 feeds of sugarbeet plus other stuff with chaff to bulk it out per day with hay constantly re-filled.
BOGGIT
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just about every thing with shires is on an industrial scale Smile
but feel free to ask away, great bunch on the forum and will help and advise any time, ted is a breeder so has lots of knowledge, and the rest of us have found out the same way by asking, look forward to some pic's Very Happy Very Happy
Hannah
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah when we got dougie Matthew advised us to put him on a whole scoop of the following

Molly chop
Sugarbeat
Stud mix

When we did this starting slowly of course hi instantly got a bad belly so on the obviously poor advise of out last yard manager and local I know best we took him of everything because according to them and I believed them in what I can see now was nievaty he didn't need anything just to leave him to grow naturally so we dropped him to a scoop of chop with some naff pink powder to help his stomach which obviously has not been giving him any of what he needs at all. We have since moved yards and learned not to listen to advise that was not asked for.

Any advise on starting amounts and combinations that would be best so that we can begin to get him introduced to the feeds he needs to be on to prevent him loosing any weight and to develop properly would be wonderful I don't want to upset his stomach any more.
Hannah
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Another daft question maybe would poor diet hamper development enough to maybe account for the fact that he is still showing no testicles or coltish behaviour or are the two things not connected at all lol.

I just wanted to say thanks to all who have posted it's really nice to come and ask questions in a place where people don't feel the need to make me feel like a complete idiot for buying a horse before I knew everything that there is possibly to know about horses.

We bought dougie because we fell in love with him and he has given us that love back in bucket loads everyday since it's just nice to talk with people who understand we don't all get born with the gift of being a bloody know it all cheers guys
BOGGIT
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

our lad had his bit's off when he was 20 months he had one normal size one and one that was small and up, it may be that he has not dropped yet they are all differant, dont think that in the short time you have had him that you have done him any harm what so ever Very Happy
you just need to re-adjust to shire mode = large Shocked
Plus you will find that know it alls know bugger all but like to tell you what they know nothing about Rolling Eyes
at the end of the day YOU know your horse it is you that feeds him cleans him and loves him to bit's so asking for advice just shows that you want the best for him
don't think i would know all about horses if i lived to be 1000 !
so don't be afraid to ask any of us anything

one last thing are you sure he is uncut ??
Hannah
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As far as we know he is on his passport it says registered colt but we don't have a vet brave enough to feel properly lol they had a quick feel said they could feel nothing and that they would now have to do two blood tests one day apart then sedate him and have a proper look and feel so we are just going off what they tell us at the moment then they say if the blood tests come back saying he has still got em they will have to either take him in and do open surgery costing a gorgeous 1100 or key hole which is safer for 1200. Obviously we would go for key hole if it came to it but we were kind of hoping that it wouldn't not looking promising though lol cheers
Daftdraught
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Some pictures of him would be nice, I won't add ant feeding advise as I believe what has already been said is good enough, however when you say loose droppings how loose do you mean?
Hannah
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It just doesn't hold it's form when it hits the floor for want of a better term it's not water or watery I don't know if that helps
Daftdraught
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It sounds like the food maybe to rich I would go back to basics and slowly introduce different foods slowly, I would start with a fibre based feeds add a good balancer there are loads to choose from or pink powder and go from there. We are feeding beat with Alpha A oil we have had very good results with building up one of ours with this with a good dose of garlic. I think if you start adding a scoop of this and that you unbalance the diet to much. Hold back on the cereals for now until his tummy settles. make sure he has good quality ad lib hay available at all times or you could offer Easy grass or grazeon (which may prove pricey) as an alternative. Think long stem fibre and you can't go far wrong.
(Beat does make one of mine have slightly loose black dung with no ill effect)
Hannah
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.shire-horses.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1701&highlight=youngsters I don't know if that will work but if it does the first pic you get too is my little man at 14 months about 3 months ago he is bigger now but only really in height
IVORS MOM
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Hannah, sorry to hear the problems you're having with your poor boy! I have too debated the feeding thing a lot! and it has been a big trial and error thing with mine, but we have finally found something that really suits him! He is 2.5yrs now and 17.2hh, he lives out 24/7 with a section D and dartmoor who have 2 shelter to share (and they usually all share one!) at the moment he is fed 1kg dry weight of quickbeet, 1 scoop of hifi, 2 scoops of D&H just grass (same energy levels as Alfa A but no molasses etc or risk of allergy as some people report) feedmark original balancer (4scoops as recommend for young horses), brewers yeast and adlib hay. He has never looked better and seems really happy in his self, they were all playing together in the snow when i got there last night, it was lovely to see. One thing i would say is i would never feed mix to any shire, i fed it to mine on recommendation when he was a yearling and it made him really unhappy, and even caused him to wind suck (which stopped within 2 weeks of taking him off the mix!) Just remember fibre fibre fibre!

As i said, it's been a big trial and error thing and i'm just glad we've now sorted it, i really do feel for you and hope you find something to suit soon!
grey shire
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hannah, thats made me wonder because my 1st horses passport said colt but he had been gelded. so maybe he has been cut?
Hannah
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hopefully that's the case it would certainly save us some serious money according to the vets until they have done their tests they will not know for sure the only thing that gets me is I would have expected to have seen some coltish behaviour by now but there is nothing with him you can stand him next to a mare in heat and get nothing from him lol.
grey shire
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i think hes been cut hannah, you would be able to feel balls by now if he was a colt. my bloomin filly is in season and its december! randy bugger shes got boys on the brain
Hannah
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That would be wonderful not to have to put him through what could be such serious surgery. This may be another dozy question but is there a knack to feeling for them lol he is still a little twitchy about his boy bits being played with but I would have a go I it could help if he has been cut I assume the only way of us finding out is to have the vets do the hormone blood tests to see if he is producing testosterone or not. The people we bought him from at cotebrooke swore blind to us that he had not been though. The vet had a feel when we first got him and she started his jabs off but she said that she could feel nothing at all. People say just look but he is so bloody hairy there is no hope of seeing anything but fur lol.
grey shire
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

just have a squeeze lol, u will not be able to miss them if they are there and be careful dont get kicked xx
Hannah
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi everybody I just wanted to let you all know that my little man is loving his new feed of sugar beat, chaff, cool mix and lots of forage apples carrots and turnip watching him trying to keep all his chunks of apple and carrot to one side while he finishes everything else so he can enjoy them last made me giggle tonight.

He is certainly enjoying it and hopefully he will start to put on the weight he needs to now. Thank you all very much for the help and advise you have helped me make my baby a very happy boy just gotta sort out his boy bits and then he can go out and enjoy being a horse x
Lottie LotLots
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thats brilliant, Lottie does that with her veg, she tips them out the bucket on to the floor and then hoovers them all up after! x
Hannah
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just another quick question for you all lol with him having an upset tummy over the last few days the feathers on his back legs are looking pretty bad and I don't wanna leave it like that but I also don't know the best way to clean them I could just brush through them but it wouldn't get them clean any ideas ?.

Also he has a very very dusty coat and obviously I can't bath him until it's considerably warmer than it is going to be any time soon he gets groomed with every brush I have every day but the dirt and greasy dust is close to his skin under a lot of fur and it just doesn't shift it at all again any ideas would be great cheers guys x
Hannah
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just another quick question for you all lol with him having an upset tummy over the last few days the feathers on his back legs are looking pretty bad and I don't wanna leave it like that but I also don't know the best way to clean them I could just brush through them but it wouldn't get them clean any ideas ?.

Also he has a very very dusty coat and obviously I can't bath him until it's considerably warmer than it is going to be any time soon he gets groomed with every brush I have every day but the dirt and greasy dust is close to his skin under a lot of fur and it just doesn't shift it at all again any ideas would be great cheers guys x
BOGGIT
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Try a bucket of warm water and an hairdryer Smile
Hannah
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

And here was me thinking up all sorts of weird and wonderful things I guess sometimes sime is just best lol

I don't know if I'm supposed to start a new thread or not but I wanted to ask about backing and everything that comes with it like what I should be doing when and also talk to people bout what shire are like to ride ?
BOGGIT
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

start a new thread
grey shire
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

do u know about using pigoil and sulphur on his feather hannah? look on the health section on here tons of info from previous discussions for you to read xxx
Hannah
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No I don't I was reading a little about it last night but didn't get far lolinwill look in to it though thanks.
grey shire
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

worth a read, its something that heavy horse owners have a constant supply of when showing their horses and most importantly during winter/wet weather. its something you wont of dealt with on your thoroughbreds!! xx
grey shire
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

here, put your feet up and have a read of this thread
http://www.shire-horses.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1752

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic