The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Hi all ,, Am New Member View next topic
View previous topic
stormdancerlady
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello all , hope you all have had a good xmass , and looking forward to a fab new year , I am wating on my shire mare coming home soon in jan so very excited , and so glad to see somewhair to chatt about these gentle giants ,
Jovi
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi stormdancerlady,nice to see another Shire coming to Scotland Laughing Welcome to the forum Very Happy
stormdancerlady
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi , Thanks i have been reading through some of the posts on here and finding it really intresting ,
Jovi
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Look forward to hearing more about your girl and seeing pictures..Jan just around the corner,so not too long to wait Very Happy
stormdancerlady
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yea will get some pic`s on soon as she is home ,, she will be 5 in march , i get butterflyes thinking of it lol am so looking forward to getting to know all about her and her wee qwirks and stuff , lol and looking for tack she isent broken to ride yet but has been broken to the cart as far as i know ,
well first , is to get her home and settle and get to know her and her know me and the gang lol
valerie n scout
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

oh how exciting xx dont forget to load some pics we ALL love pics x

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello Stormdancer,

good to hear of another Shire horse in Scotland, I think they are fairly rare here. Haven't been on the site for a while so will update on my Shire mare and her X Clydesdale foal - Meggi - here are some pics, she's doing well and growing fast, one pic of autumn size, the rest recent. We have started weaning her this week - will start new post on that.

Winter has been good to us so far on the SW coast of Scotland, sunny days and frosty ground, nothing like the North - no mud for weeks on end. This recent thaw has put an end to that now - back to typical coastal weather.

Jovi
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi johnsculp,we're about as far north as you can go without getting your feet wet Laughing Laughing and we've had between 2 and 3 ft of snow with much deeper drifts but like you its just gone and now everything looks so dull after the beautiful clean snow. Lovely pictures,nice to be seeing more Shires up here. Very Happy
grey shire
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hi and welcome!! how exciting i love getting a new horse theres no feeling like it, please tell us more about your mare, colour, height, your plans for her and her breeding we all love to hear about the shires and yes some posts on here are very interesting but me and boggit do tend to have our mad half hours Image xxxx

Heidi, in foal clydesdale 2yr old filly
many chickens, 2 cats 1 dog

Last edited by grey shire on Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
grey shire
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

johnsculp, i love your filly, my friends clydesdale is in foal to our shires dad, i have told her shes got to phone me right away if its a filly Laughing i love clydesdales but the cross of a shire/clyde i have a weakness for!! teds dad lew harrison had a young mare that was a shire/clyde for sale a few months ago on the shire society but i couldnt afford his price lol

BOGGIT
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi johnsculp, take no notice of burlington park opal it's normaly an hour or more we act daft ! the rest of the time just pure insane Smile
and it's ALL kays fault Smile)))

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

its ALL kays fault Image

stormdancerlady
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi , thank you so much for kind welcome ,,,
I have a gypsy cob mare Dolly , a black welsh D gelding magic he is off the nebo lines ,, and a wee welsh a Maverick ,, my mare she is in foal and due may /june time so really excited about that and nervis lol soz spelling lol ,, and the shire mare thats coming in jan is called bellyedmond isadora , think will call her dora for short she is lovely she is black and 2 white hind legs and white down her face she is a big girl 17. 2 hh and she will be 5 in march 2011 ,,
am so looking forward to her coming , i have only been back in to horses the last 2and a bit years , and still getting to grips as havent had much chance to ride , but when younger went to oatridge in broxburn scotland and was working training at elis knights yard in west callder which i loved ,
am looking to do western ridding ect i love dressage but as have not done much for a very long time lol getting old and 4 kids later gona take time and enjoy it and lern some new skills and confidance ,,
stormdancerlady
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

just forgot to say love the pic`s , will try and get some pic`s up as soon as i can x
grey shire
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

whats your gypsy mare in foal too? thats very exciting, we've had a few gypsy cobs ourselves.
we cannot breed from our old clydesdale shes become infertile even though shes bred 5 colts in the past. we tried for 2 years but she just doesnt hold a foal Crying or Very sad so unless we buy another mare next year our shire opal will give us our 1st baby when shes old enough to put in foal.
your shire sounds lovely, 17.2hh is a nice size

kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

my fault Shocked Shocked , im a good girl, honest Twisted Evil

Stormdancerlady, your mare sounds great and at a nice age too, cant wait for those pic, the wait must be horrible. Is she coming from a fair distance?

johnsulp great pic, and so lucky on the weather side. my field is now a mud bath, had to section half of today to rest it.

Forgot to say a huge welcome!!
grey shire
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i have a paddock that every winter i let them trash, its small and i turn them out onto it and let them bomb about letting off steam, roll and buck. the other 2 paddocks are large and i keep them immaculate. they stop using the other 2 before winter hits. then every spring i re-seed and fertilize the trashed paddock and it always recovers well, opal can chain harrow it yearly when shes old enough. and yes kay, its all your fault Laughing Laughing Laughing

kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i am think of moving the ponies of it soon and leaving it for winter for when the big girl comes home over winter. I have asked the yard i want her at home over winter as was snowed in etc.. and their lack of wonter grazing.

Its wouldn't of been so bad but its on a hill and the ponies loves to gallop around and then slide down it instead of being normal and walking down the hill bit. might have to reseed some parts Sad

but then its finding a shetland proof field, lol. i have two fences keeping these ones in!!
stormdancerlady
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi , dolly is in foal to dee`s shady lad he is lovely and was standing at the livery stables i was at ,,
grey shire
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i havent heard of him is he also a gypsy cob? theres a rare silver dappled gypsy cob stallion called abs near us, coates gypsy cobs have bought some of his foals that have been born the same colour as him and i know that they paid a LOT of money for them. i have been tempted to buy a little gypsy mare to put to abs but we just love our huge heavy horses so we would rather buy another clyde or shire if we get more.
kay they love sliding down hills dont they Rolling Eyes and all those scar marks just grow weeds instead of grass when they grow back. my friend has a hill field and she has to stable them whenever its wet or they just trash it, but she has a sand school so can let them out on the school.

kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

weeds!!! please dont scare me... i have huge bold spots Crying or Very sad , but on the up there is still some grassy bits.
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

forgot to say that cob sounds NICE!.
ted
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hi stormdancerlady,(long name and im only a one finger typist),i know your mare isadora,shes a good mare and very well bred,her mum hannah is an edingale mascot granddaughter(sire of galway warrior).i bought a 2 year old filly out of hannah recently just to get the bloodline.if you wanted to breed from her i know of a couple of stallions north of the border who may suit.i hope she is lucky for you.

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hi how do u up load a pic on here ?
Loubie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi stormdancerady, welcome to the forum.

I have photobucket account and upload stuff from my pc to there, then if you click and copy the IMG code that appears underneath you can paste it into your post.....
grey shire
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

yep photobucket, u will have to sell me a horse one of these days ted Very Happy

valerie n scout
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

John those horses are lovely, mm pity about the thaw tho, yes our boys are minging now !

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Question for Ted

"if you wanted to breed from her i know of a couple of stallions north of the border who may suit.i hope she is lucky for you."

Shire horse stallions in Scotland ? Can you let me know where please Ted.
ted
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hi john,if you are in ayrshire, your nearest is probably glenys dodds in cumbria(father of B P opal),in scotland,theres one at berwick and one in aberdeenshire. your bay mare in the photo-whats her breeding?

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

yes u should bring her to glens!

johnsculp
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Ted

my mare Mira is formally called Martonian Mirabilis, born 06/05/2000, a Mr. W E Waind of Marton Roham, Bridlington, Yorkshire was the breeder. Her sire was Scotlan Prince and her dam was Caerberllan Rosette 144525.

Her mother Caerberllan Rosette 144525 now lives in Sweden at http://www.stallherkules.com/

Scotlan Prince died some while ago I believe.

This year I would like to ride her starting after Meggi her foal is weaned, but perhaps next year I may consider trying to get her in foal. Would like to cover her with a traditional bay stallion if possible.
ted
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

john,im sending you a pm

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi ,,Ted ,, wow thanks its nice to know someone that knows her , i fell inlove with her the min i seen her , there was just something in her eyes she is a big sweetie and cant wate to get to know her more ,, thank you for letting me know more about her it means alot if you can tell me more that would be cool ,, yes i may look to haveing a foal from her one day which will be exciting ,,

just want to say a huge thank you to all that have made me so welcome you are all a credit to this forum ,, lol have had to read over and over this thread so i dont miss anything and i do appreciate all the replys and i will keep you all up to date on how things are going ,, am still not sure about the pic thing so will try and figer out it somehow am not so computer minded ,, thank you x
johnsculp
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Storm - it took me a while to work this out - there was no explanation on the forum when I joined.

What I do to post pics - but there maybe other much simpler ways - this works for me though.

First choose pic then upload it to a 'photo holding' website. I host my pictures on my Flikr Yahoo site. Then I go to the photostream on my Flikr site and click on photo I want to post on this forum. This opens up a new Flikr window with the picture in a single picture view surrounded by Flikr site stuff.

If I right click on the picture it gives me options to open the picture in different pixel sizes (this one below is Medium 500).

So open the pic up as a medium size. If I then right click on this picture again but this time open up it in a new window all I have is the picture itself, no Flikr text, headers, adverts, guff, etc. just a webpage with a single photo on its own.

From the address bar of your browser at the top of the page you are on will have text in it - in the case illustrated below the text was http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5129/5307354903_d877c04605.jpg

I then copy this text write a forum post and paste the copied text from the address bar in between

[img] and [/img] leaving no gaps between, as I have done below

[img] http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5129/5307354903_d877c04605.jpg [/img]

If you have copied the right text from address bar and placed it with no gaps between the img tags you should get..................

stormdancerlady
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/57664154@N05/?saved=1[img][/img]

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic