The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Chronic progressive lymphoedema View next topic
View previous topic
Mari

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Who knows anything about chronic progressive lymphoedema (CLP), a disease that seems to be quite common among some heavy breeds such as Shire, Clydesdale, Irish Cob and Belgians?

My mare has got those hard bumps around the pasterns since I bought her years ago and I discovered them on other Coulered Cobs too. You can't see them under the feather, but you can feel them.
I never paid much attention to them, but now as we have those mite mange problems, I did a lot of research and found out about CPL.

I wonder, if the bumps are mite related or due to CPL.

Does any of your horses have such bumps (knots, lumps, thikened skin) above the heels/around the pasterns, too? (It's difficult to discribe what it looks like, but I think you`ll know what I mean, if you have seen it yourself.

Mari
Shirecaleb
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've done a lot of reading about CPL, the Clydesdale I used to have had lumps & bumps that gradually got worse & he refused to lift up his feet at the end of his short life.
I was horrified when I first read about it & I still am!
The disease is a lot more common than people think & in some heavy horse breeds as much as 80% of the breed has it!
Some owners & breeders won't talk about it or admit their horses have it.

UC Davis has done a lot of research on CPL & a lot of their articles is found online.

Have a read at this site & all the articles linked on the bottom of the page, it's very interesting!

http://www.harlequinfarmsgypsyhorses.com/ChronicProgressiveLymphedema.html
Mari

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for your reply. I've already read this article and some more and that's why I'm worried now. But my mare has got those bumps since I bought her 7 years ago and it hasn't got worse since. She is 16 now.

But we have quite severe mite mange problems, and I'm not sure if the bumps (thickened skin ) is due to the mites or CPL.

Mari
Shirecaleb
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If the lumps & bumps are the same size as they have been for 7 years I wouldn't think it's CPL, my boy got worse very quickly & 7 years was his age when he had to be put down (Not all due to the lumps & bumps, he also had a genetic hoof disease). I had him for 3 years & in those 3 years he went from being difficult to impossible to have his feet picked up & it was clearly painful for him to lift his feet.

If mite problems are let for a while untreated the skin will get damaged & thickening of the skin starts, so if your horse only has thickening of the skin I will assume it's mites & not CPL you horse has.
Shirecaleb
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If the lumps & bumps are the same size as they have been for 7 years I wouldn't think it's CPL, my boy got worse very quickly & 7 years was his age when he had to be put down (Not all due to the lumps & bumps, he also had a genetic hoof disease). I had him for 3 years & in those 3 years he went from being difficult to impossible to have his feet picked up & it was clearly painful for him to lift his feet.

If mite problems are let for a while untreated the skin will get damaged & thickening of the skin starts, so if your horse only has thickening of the skin I will assume it's mites & not CPL you horse has.
Heather

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello
I do have some knowledge of this disease, having been involved in a pilot study conducted at UCDavis into the use of combined decongestive therapy (the treatment of choice for lymphoedema in people) to control CPL. If you have some specific questions I could try and answer them!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic