The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Older Shire Training help View next topic
View previous topic
Mia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey

I have been asked to help train an older shire horse, he has never been ridden before and they want him to be ridable. I have trained young horses before, but never an older horse and never a Shire horse. Are there any tips or particulars that anybody can help me with please? Apparently he has a reputation for bucking off all his previous trainers...
Shiremum
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Is his back ok? Confused
In my experience it's not really in the shire's nature to buck or throw their rider off so I would maybe see if there is something wrong first.

If all is well then maybe it's just because he's stuck in his ways and is objecting to change, aka 'being a swine!'. My girl has recently started to buck, and although she is still a baby, I know it's because she wants to see what she can get away with. I can't imagine that a stubborn old horse wouldn't test his new handler, possibly needs someone to be 'boss'?

I'm sure there's people here with much more experience than me who can advise you better but certainly my first port of call would be his back and teeth. Good luck and keep us updated!! x

Clyde the Clydesdale RIP
Loubie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree, first rule out back/teeth/tack then just like any other horsae go right back to basics. Find a stage they are comfortable with and start from there.

Be consious that this horse may be a little set in their ways (and asking them to use muscles they never knew they had is going to be strange. For them)but as long as the training is sympathetic and stress free they should get there.

Good luck
Mia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks all for the advise, please keep it coming. need all the help i can get Smile
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ok it sound totally stupid, but if it isn't medical its a matter or find out what it is he is not liking, this may give a pointer.

have you tried you putting weight over him i.e. feed bag and lead around to see if it is the weight, or poss the legs hanging down, some first have problems with that, always try filling and old pair of trouser with straw or something and connecting it to a roller and again lead around- in walk and trot.

i did say it sounds odd, but you never know Very Happy

I will be doing the leg thing soon as i would rather he has bucking fits/dis-like with the fake rather than my own up their. Very Happy
just fed th'os
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Might be worth checking saddle fit, as we had a brief spell where ours put on a bit of condition after changing yards to better grazing, and the fit of the saddle was too narrow, it was nipping him and causing him to buck when asked to trot, luckyly discovered on a lunge line with no rider. Saddle adjusted problem solved. Worth looking at if only to rule it out.

Hope that helps.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic