The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 GARLIC :-) OR :-( View next topic
View previous topic
BOGGIT
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Did some research on feed stuffs a bit back as like most i am careful what i chuck in our lad,s feed bucket Rolling Eyes
so having read up on different things i got rid of some to see if it made any changes to him health and mood wise Question has been off garlic for 6 months now and he is brighter and has far mor energy, so here is a bit of a read for you all Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.equisearch.com/horses_care/nutrition/feeds/eqgarlic528/

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm, personally I am not a fan of that article. Blind you with science and vague referencing to a study (not even clinical trial) completed more than 30 years ago?
Not saying its not a valid topic, but there is no evidence I have seen that is convincing just yet, and I am thinking there is a reason why no one has comissioned such a study. With equine nutrition being a very lucrative market I think you would be safe to say it would be worth it, should the results be as suspected?
Having said that I dont regularly feed garlic either, although I have done in the past.
BOGGIT
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

still looking into it Rolling Eyes but this sort of thing interests me Shocked yup im a geek Laughing Laughing still would be interested in any info you peeps come across in ya travels Question

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Subject raises its head every few years but yet to see a decent study. Will let you know if I come accross anything new
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

is there any prof that native ponies would eat wild garlic in the wild? (i.e. new forest/exmoor etc..) if there is then i would have no problem feeding garlic as it is a part of their diet. I dont feed garlic nor is it in his field lick, so it is something i will also need to look into.
Loubie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

interesting point. I am sure I have read somthing regarding garlic being selected as required. I knew a homeopath lady who worked wonders with horses when I was a kid. I know she offered garlic and it was only taken when needed, I'm sure she didnt agree with feeding it daily?
Having said that Samson loves the stuff. I occasionally stick a few cloves in his haynet and he goes mad for it. I happen to be a garlic lover myself though so dont mind his stinky breath!
Domane
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nope, I don't feed it and never have.
kay
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

using cloves is a good idea as if they dont want in they just wont eat it. using cloves didnt even cross my mind, and its more natral too.
RutlandH2O
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Several years ago, Horse & Hound reported on a study to determine horses' most preferred and disliked flavours. Numbers 1 & 2 on the top of the list of chosen tastes were fenugreek and banana. Interestingly, garlic was no where near the top in preference. The problem with fenugreek is that it shouldn't be fed to pregnant mares. Other than that, it's perfectly fine to add to the feed of all horses, ponies and donkeys.
Holdfast
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Re; garlic. I started giving it once to try and deter flies and gnats.
The result was that it didn't make any difference to the number of insects. Nor did it seem to affect their mood when it began, nor when I stopped giving it. They had one of those D and H tubs between them, so not for very long - about a month I think.
Three out of my four ate it up, no problem. But the one who is black would not touch it. (He can also detect bute a mile off and won't eat that without my subterfuge. The others seem to like it)
Ironically it is him (black) who is always suffering most from swarms of flies, and it was for him that I tried it, and am asking if anyone else with black horses noticed that this colour is worse than others?

Tastes do vary of course. The shires (who are related to each other) can't stand swedes yuk yuk yuk! The others like it Confused

Like Boggit, I am really careful what they eat. I know people do feed horses citrus fruits, I had never heard of giving them bananas. Why risk it? Is my motto. I would though, go with herbal remedies from a professional adviser.

If food producers research what taste horses like best, the cynic in me thinks that they are hoping to pass off junk food under cover of tastes which horses would not naturally come across often.

A huge bough split off a big willow tree last month, and everyone's horses have been stuffing the leaves and twigs, even the bark. I know willow is the source of asprin, so I wasn't too worried, but kept an eye out in case they had too much of a good thing.

I always thought animals like horses would instinctively know what is good or bad for them, but it doesn't always follow.
grey shire
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i put tons of garlic in my sauces when cooking and i still get bitten loads in summer so guess it makes no difference lol

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic