The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Poultice bags View next topic
View previous topic
drew.h
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oliver is on his third abscess since we took him on. Looks like this one was caused by the nail on his shoe when it came off. Its costing a fortune in vet wrap and duck tape and no one sells a big enough boot, or do they...

First of all I found an alternative to nappies, not as absorbent, but bigger, they are puppy training pads.

Back to the boots, my wife found a site which made bespoke wellies, called Eqwelli (.co.uk). Oliver is now plodding around the field in his new boot. Measuring for the boot is very important, Olivers ended up a little short and just wide enough, so add a bit to the length and an extra 10-20mm on the diameter (for the padding of the poultice or nappy).

Still, I thought these where over-kill for the stable and approached a bag manufacturer, who has quoted 12.20 +VAT and delivery each for the hoof bags, based on buying 4, with a diameter of 24cm and height of 24cm. Which I though was reasonable. They are sending be a sample of the canvas and pvc before I place an order.

I'll do a full review of the eqwelli when it been on a few more days, but its much faster to put on than duck tape.

I spoke to the lady who makes the eqwelli and she gave me a few tips, one was for a poultice made from demerara sugar and iodine, which I've yet to try.

I'm still looking for an alternative to the metal shoes, something I can replace myself, but from what I have been told glue on shoes are not possible for heavy horses, because the glues are not strong enough.

BOGGIT
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi drew the sugar and iodine is a very old remedy, the sugar draws the water out of the bacteria by osmosis and the iodine is abrill antiseptic can't beat some of the old cures Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a Davis boot that I have had years but only used it with the last abscess (he has had a couple!) after getting thoroughly fed up (and skint) with duct tape!
The Davis boot is great, once you get the hang of getting it on and off.

I used to use a rubble sack with gaffer tape that I must admit (being modest) was fantastic but gets expensive. Would be interested to see these shoes you have ordered.

We are barefoot by medical necessity and not exactly suited to it as we have such stoney ground. I looked into glue on a few years ago, it was the cost rather than the glue that I found to be the problem. They dont make them in Samsons size (9 inches) I found a couple of places in America that would make them to order, but time you have them made, shipped and fitted you are looking at 250 a pair!
drew.h
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I tried a feed sack on Oliver, but his toe came through it. His toe has come through the duck tape over the last two days as well, even with nappy, puppy pad, vet wrap and 8 layers of tape, so lucky the eqwelli arrived.

I emailed a couple of the glue manufacturers to see if it would be good enough to glue the metal shoe back on, but both said the same thing, no the horse is to heavy even plastic and aluminium shoes wouldn't work. This was based on reports back from farriers.

Getting plastic shoes made in the UK shouldn't be a problem, just need to know what type of plastic is used and then search around an industry that uses it. I already know a gasket company that can mould bespoke gaskets, a horse shoe wouldn't be that far removed from some of their products, just the plastics they use may be to pliable.

The glue our farrier used to block up the split in the hoof only lasts about a fortnight. So it probably won't work.

The last two abscesses came from cracks, so I think I'll still get some glue in anyway, just to re-enforce any cracks as soon as I see them.

As for the old remedies, she gave me a couple more tips, one was manuka honey for wounds, but it must be 10+. The other was a story about a 'Jethro' character who cured wounds on horses by peeing on them first thing in the morning.

drew.h
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Loubie
I used one of those boots on our old Dales mare, one thing I learnt is not to keep it on to long, it appeared to soften the hoof. It was good for soaking the hoof in epsom salts. I think we still have it in the garage, but its way to small. Oliver's hoof is about 22cm wide (about 8 1/2 inch). The canvas boots where by far the best on the dales mare, but the field she was in drained a lot better than the new field. Hence why I'm trying the eqwelli.

My biggest problem is Oliver, if I put him in the paddock that is the least muddy he runs up and down the fencing, causing a mud path that is over 6 inches deep. His hoofs also squirt the mud in the air even when he is just walking, so everything gets covered in it. It then takes me half an hour at night and over an hour in the morning to get him clean before letting him out on the mud again, even with using pig oil. We were having some hard standing laid, but the field is to muddy now and the groundsman reckons his dumper will make even more mess. I may have to do it by hand.

drew.h
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sad

Eqwelli has been on approximately 8 hours in a muddy field with only a small patch of hardcore (old tarmac) and there is a hole in the bottom already. Took it off and its wet and muddy inside.

Really it needs to last a fortnight to make them worth the price. Don't think they are any good, for Oliver anyway.

Oliver has not been lame for a week now, so looks like its cleared up fine. He decided to demonstrate this by running the full length of the field, at top speed, through the muddy gateway where I was stood. On a plus side, if there has been any Predators around, they wouldn't be able to see me.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic