The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 shoes or barefoot? View next topic
View previous topic
shiregirl85
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mo has always been barefoot, but been a broodmare in a field. I've been riding her since June and occasionally hack her out over concrete, pebbles etc.

I had her feet trimmed a few days ago and now she seems a bit foot sore on one foot. It could be that he went a bit close or it could be that I need to think about front shoes.

I really am reluctant to put shoes on unless I have to but don't want to worry about her feet over rough ground if she's going to get bruised feet that hurt.

Aghh....

So......if you ride your horse on rough ground i.e. not sandschool/pasture, do you have shoes on?
Loubie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Depends how much you do and how often. Technically there feet will be conditioned to what they are used to so if you all of a sudden start to ride over rough terrain it will take a while for her growth to catch up, you may decide it is easier to have shoes on.

That said, Samson has never taken to barefoot (we have no choice as he has a broken Navicular bone so cant have shoes) but we are on really stoney gravelly ground and he is on/off lame anyway.

Do you have a decent farrier who would shoe her?
shiregirl85
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yea I have a good farrier, although I didnt use him this last time as I couldnt get hold of him so used another farrier who was at the yard. I think this may be why she got a bit footsore. After a day of being in she was absolutely fine again so I think he may have just trimmed a little close.

She's back to her normal self now so it must have been that. It is something I will have to think about long term potentially if I hack her out more.
Shiremum
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a youngster who has never been shod and she rides out over concrete fine, but I have an oldie who I changed from a full set of shoes to just fronts and he's taking his time to get used to barefoot back feet. It takes time since they need to get used to a different terrain Smile my youngster will get shoes in the spring but only because I want to show her and she was marked way down last year for no shoes Sad you can get a chemical you paint onto hooves to harden them - I forget what it's called but someone else might know? xx

Clyde the Clydesdale RIP
shiregirl85
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ended up putting front shoes on and I have to say its made a big difference.

The first night I rode her with them she almost fell over trotting cos she hadn't quite worked out that she had to lift her feet more!
bulbus01
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

henry is getting shoed tomorrow he has hard feet a few cracks will canter on any terain but they are wearing faster than they grow i usually ride with shoes and then take them off and trim and ride untill they wear down this stops them getting soft
Four Feathered Friend
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ettie is barefoot for the time being, but then she hasn't been doing a great deal, will have to see how things go
Clipclop
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think Keratex is the hoof hardener you may be thinking of......

Mine is only shod in front....

John&Freya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Bare foot both of ours but it does worry me alot if i am truthfull.
both had what id call ok ish feet when they came but its taken 9 months to get to what the blacksmith now calls very good.

I am now so obcesed (to OCD levels) about checking there feet twice daily that people are starting to notice Rolling Eyes
however is lord ship has to work in some very stony ground so i do take care esp if he is applying lots of grunt to a load.
I have found apple cider viniger spayed on the underside of a clean foot not only kills the stink (trush) but also hardens the sole nicley this i do sevral times a week. I hoof oil twice a week and rasp the bottom edge of the foot between side and sole creating a radious only small, but just seams to stop any damage to the side wall spreading upwards.

this all seems to work for us at the moment & having a good blacksmith, who can trim aswell as shod, is worth every penny.
prettyperfectpaulie
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

John freya everything you do is the same as me although I would never oil the feet it actually dries them out, don't be so cautious of rough ground it's this that makes them hard the you do the stronger the feet will be Very Happy keep the heels low and back up the toe !!! Job done

Willie, 6yr Clydesdale gelding
Henry, 22 month Shire gelding
Archie, 12 month Shire colt
love them all to death !!
Four Feathered Friend
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

John&Freya wrote:
I have found apple cider viniger spayed on the underside of a clean foot not only kills the stink (trush) but also hardens the sole nicley this i do sevral times a week.

Will try this, must be the acidity then. Used to use Hydrogen Peroxide on my Cob many years ago, always used to get questioned on what it was for when I bought it Shocked
If only we lived near to the beach, sea water does absoulute wonders for neddys feet.
BOGGIT
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Only "oil "we use is kevin bacons hoof dressing its brill stuff and soaks into the hoof unlike normal oils that stay on the hoof and stop them breathing Smile

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kevin Bacons, Etties owner Sam swears by this stuff, Et seems to like it too & given half a chance would eat it I think.. Shocked
jorgea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This depends on how often she goes on concrete and on soft surfaces.
Shiremum
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Four Feathered Friend wrote:

If only we lived near to the beach, sea water does absoulute wonders for neddys feet.

Ooft must disagree here, our farrier told us that the reason ours had such crumbly and weak feet was actually due to being ridden on the beach and in the sea so often! And I have to say, because we have no transport and cannot get to the beach, ours have touched no saltwater and their feet are stronger and harder than ever before, no cracks whatsoever and that happened in less than 6months of being away from the beach Smile occasional saltwater work will be good for any leg sores though I should imagine Wink

Clyde the Clydesdale RIP
Shiremum
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Also the hardner for the barefoot hooves I was thinking of was Formaldehyde. Have to apply with gloves as is nasty for our skin but fab for hooves Smile

Clyde the Clydesdale RIP

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic