The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Very "clumsy" Shire? View next topic
View previous topic
BigHorseLover

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,

I am trying to adopt a rescued Shire gelding who's approximately 21 years old. He's absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately, as it was explained to me, he was low pecking order in the herd and his former owners were having a very difficult time keeping weight on him. Currently, he's about 200+ lbs. UNDER weight.

When I arrived, the rescue's trainer went in the pen and caught him, brought him out of the fence and within a few steps, was tripping. Once he started walking he seemed okay. Once we were in the arena, I asked her to hop on so I could see him in action. He was tripping all over the place, dragging the fronts of his front hooves across the dirt causing one helluva dust storm. The trainer says he's sound, but I'm wondering if it's a mechanical problem.

Any suggestions? I would hate to see him end up on his knees.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hi Smile
At 21 ish he's an old lad so will not be spritley also if under weight by 200lb he will not have muscle strength to carry any weight also they do get clumsy when they are long in the toe and if the quarters are flaired a good trim is a start and see how he goes from that point Smile Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Makes sense. We were initially interested in him because he is husband safe and perfection to ride for my 2 y.o. autistic daughter. Perhaps you're right though. It sounds pretty basic.

I asked the trainer to video him and will post it tomorrow for review.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

may I ask why that age ?
A much younger one by 10 years or so would be better and likely to be with you for longer once they get past 7 or 8 then they seem to settle down 6 seems to be teenager syndrome with them but after that things settle, our 6 year old is ridden by our son with the same "sticker " as your 2yr old and the horse wont even trot with him on his back lol he seems to fall half asleep Smile Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Aw bless him. He should be put out to a long and loving retirement and trying to rid an old, underweight boy seems very harsh to me. Sad

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic