The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Longevity View next topic
View previous topic
midsummerjesse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi

I just want to take a straw poll and find out the average age of the heavy horse.

I've got a 2 yr old shire, an 11 yr old shire x cob and an 18 yr old clydesdale.

I'm dreading the time when one of them has to go, but I'd be interested to know about the experiences of other heavy owners.

When did you have to make that decision to say goodbye, or when was that decision made for you and why?

How long can they live with a decent quality of life?

Please let me know.
Shiremum
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi

I have a 21yo shirexclydesdale and a 4yo shire. I lost a Clydesdale at the start of the year who we guessed was about 25yo but we weren't sure as he was a rescue. He just couldn't get up any more and I suspect he had CPL too. Sad

Clyde the Clydesdale RIP
midsummerjesse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Shiremum.

How active is your 21 yr old?
Shiremum
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh very! Very competitive too, hates it when any other horse is in front of him on a ride Smile he's ridden about 3 times a week on at least 5 miles each time, we have no choice here, there aren't any shorter rides haha. He's such a cheeky boy with it too Smile you can see a picture of him on the Cumbrian Heavy Horses website, even though he's retired now their website is a wee bit out of date. His name is Brutus Smile

Clyde the Clydesdale RIP
Lizzy
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am not sure there is enough space on this page to list all of our history but I will do the most recent:
Clydesdale cross pts at 21 years
Black bay shire pts at 25 years
Grey shire pts at 24 years
all the above due to their age and health
Yearling shire pts with grass sickness - 2000 was a horrible year because we lost the oldest and the youngest within weeks. Sad
Currently we have two 21 year old mares who show no signs of giving up, two 18 year olds, a 14 year old and a 4 year old.
When they were used for farming they worked so hard they were lucky to reach their mid teens.

Last edited by Lizzy on Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
midsummerjesse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's very reassuring. I'd always thought that the heavies were lucky to get to 20. That means my two yr old shire and I will grow old together! A nice picture a 70 yr old lady riding round on an aged shire Very Happy
janjayjoe
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi I lost one of my Shires last year Ebony was 25 she was a real sweetie and is still missed.. I have Eric who is 15 and bless him is a darling and a baby.. Maisy may who is 2years so if all goes well they should be with me for a long time..
drgeo
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Our Dandy is almost 29 and a few weeks ago could not get up. Whole story is here: http://www.shire-horses.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2426&highlight=
Short version is that after singing him the good horse song for 2 hours he was so annoyed by my voice that he got up and walked to the barn. His appetite has recovered. We have taken to soaking his alfalfa cubes in water to soften them up for old round teeth, which he seems to like. He also gets 2 gallons of "senior" feed twice daily, plus hay.

He has never been worked very hard, and hasn't been ridden at all in the past 6 years. We do go on walkabouts, while he wears a halter. His vision is fading so he prefers familiar territory.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic