The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 recommendations for chiropractor View next topic
View previous topic
myboyti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello!I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good chiropractor? I have had my shire a few months hes only six an his back right leg dosent seem quite right its hard to describe but when he is walking he every now and then does a circle with his hoof an then puts his foot down (odd i know) he wont extend that foot to be picked out he will lift it but dosent extend it.He sometimes holds his hoof in the air for a bit then puts down but this is very rare any ideas?has anyone had anything similar?He is fine when being ridden ect and iv had him checked over by the vet, teeth done and saddler out to check everything else Iv posted in the shows section as im looking to take him to his first show beginning of next year and just want to make sure he is prepared and ok for then. Very Happy
Loubie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You should be able to find a good one local to you here......

http://www.mctimoney-animal.org.uk/
Lizzy
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That sounds like a locking stifle. Ours has one on his offside hind and our farrier has made shoes to help him. I should speak to your farrier about it, in my opinion they know more about legs and feet that the average vet.
myboyti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

thanks for the helpful replies I told my farrier about it an he didnt say much just asked if vet had seen him ect.It seems as though he is doing it a lot less now that he is ridden regularly.Lizzy- does it affect yours at all?are there things you have to avoid ect?
Lizzy
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We notice it more when he is walking and he doesn't do it at a trot. He seems to be getting better and I undertand that they grow out of it as the stifle muscle elongates and gets stronger. He swings it about every 10 to 12 steps and only on the offside hind.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic