The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 rug size View next topic
View previous topic
sarahjocics

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hi all
im picking up my 5 month old shire filly foal in 2 weeks and i know they dont need rugs but i wanted to get a light weight just to keep her dry. any idea what size rug would be best to get, she is expected to make 17.2

thanks
Very Happy
BOGGIT
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

She will be out of it in no time Smile Laughing
Measure her up when she lands and try this FB site for second hand ones Smile
http://www.facebook.com/?m2w#!/groups/147711505368667/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hi
tnx will have a look
xx
Shiremum
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A 5month old will grow and grow and grow so quickly! When I got mine aged 2 she was in a 6'6 which I made the mistake of buying new and she promptly grew out of it within 2 months. She's now rising 5 and in a 7' or 7'3, and still growing!!!
2nd hand is definitely the way forward Smile

Clyde the Clydesdale RIP
Loubie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If she hasn't been rugged yet then consider keeping her naked. I don't think there is a reason to rug youngsters if they are otherwise healthy, it's an unnecessary expense IMO. I would only rug to keep them dry if they needed exercising.
Lizzy
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Loubie wrote:
If she hasn't been rugged yet then consider keeping her naked. I don't think there is a reason to rug youngsters if they are otherwise healthy, it's an unnecessary expense IMO. I would only rug to keep them dry if they needed exercising.

Totally agree with that Loubie.
Shiremum
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree but mine have always had rain sheets in case we got particularly bad winters, it helps stop rain scald which mine seem to be prone to

Clyde the Clydesdale RIP
Tracey
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lizzy wrote:
Loubie wrote:

Totally agree with that Loubie.

I agree with Loubie and Lizzy also.

My Shire has never had a rug on she doesn't need one she copes just fine. Very Happy

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My boy came to me in the October of a particulary wet winter aged 6 months and as foal fur isn't the same as a proper full coat i rugged him for the first winter, plus he had been stabled at night with his breeder and i was keeping him out. I didn't over rug as i don't agee with rugging unless you need to but glad i did it that winter. He was 14.3 in Oct but shot up to 16hh by the following spring so he will grow out of them quickly but when you can get lightweight rugs for 25/30 these days it's no biggy! plus i've always sold them on. I didn't rug again even in the really cold winter 2 years ago when we had a few -15's, but as he now has sweet itch and hasn't grown his mamath coat yet this year i have started using a lightweight for when we get persistant heavy cold rain like we have been getting this winter so far. He's only warn it 3 or 4 times so far but glad i've got it. Like you say it keeps the coat healthier and although i totally agree they cope incredibaly well without when it is cold, if it is wet how can they keep themselves warm if their coats are stuck to there skin! so do what you feel is best for the horse i would say! when he was 6 months he was in a 6'. He's now in a 7'6 at 4.5 yrs and 18.2hh, which fit really but but on the last settings. got it from ruggles, only 38 and it's a 1200 denier, bargain i thought.
gretchen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have used mine for 2 yrs. also a light weigh one .a friend of mine had recommended me Harrison Howard. Brought it off ebay and I think it will work well.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic