The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Yearling View next topic
View previous topic
Margin
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was wondering if it would be ok to put my yearling in the round pen, for a bit of a run / play for a v short while, he is 16.2 and I think has a little too much energy, / maybe board , he gets groomed twice a day and picks his feet up, he gets showered with the hose if its hot, he goes up the road in the trailer, we walk him in hand up the lane, what else can I do at this age ??? Question
Holdfast
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just a thought, is he turned out with any other horses, especially youngsters? At that age maybe he just needs to tear about and let off steam. It's quite healthy.
When you say in the round pen, do you mean leave him there, or would you be in with him? My thought is let him run about free at his age.
You sound as though you have taught him good manners re feet and handling, so that is good.
Margin
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes he's is turned out with another older horse, but does have a buck and a charge about, I put him in the round pen and he tears round and let's off some steam , then I put his bit in his mouth a straight bar happy mouth on a slip with a head collar over the top from which he is clipped on a lead rope and walked round in hand in both directions and asked to halt a few times, he is only in there for 15 mins max, just trying to get the basics down for lunging , long reining do you think this is ok for him??

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic