The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Rye grass hay for shires? View next topic
View previous topic
Forever feathers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi.
I have started to feed my 20 month old shire filly a mix of meadow and rye grass hay. I've heard that rye grass has more nutrients in it and so though it would be better to increase her hay rather than upping her hard feed in winter months.(she has a scoop of chaff just because I put a joint suppliment in there oath wise I probably wouldn't hard feed)

She has pretty much as much hay as she wants, she isnt greedy and is loving the rye grass hay she will eat that before the meadow. She lives out although she takes herself in to her stable every nighasty sleep, she has maintained a level weight and seems to be doing well on it I just wandered if anybody else feeds rye grass hay to their shires & what your experiences have been with it?

Thank you
Holdfast
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi. I fed mine on rye grass hay for a few years while on livery at a farm where the farmer sold his own hay.
They did like it, and did well, although could put too much weight on.
Now, I buy meadow or seed hay.No real difference, just that I like the idea of them having a mix of different plants to eat.
If yours is doing well, and likes it, it sounds ok.
I used to feed limestone flour with the chaff thing (I know what you mean about a small plain feed as a vehicle for any 'extras' as required.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic