The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Hello from Germany! View next topic
View previous topic
Shyone
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Paul and everyone,
My husband found this site just by chance so we just had to join.. Wink
Im originally from Lancashire, but moved here 15 years ago to marry my penpal, but thats another story..
Ive always loved shires, my absolut favorite horse, and even though i cant ride, have had some kind of contact most of my life. Hubs is the rider in our family, and when we got the chance to buy a shire a while ago, jumped at the chance. Our baby is Dalesman, a 13 yr old stallion from Cheshire. He was imported ages 5yrs old, and the last two years before we got him had a not very nice life, left to fend for himself on a field with another shire. Hes since been built up to be the sort of shire to be proud of...not that we wasnt proud of him anyway...and his character is just a one off. Hes so lovelable, and wont even think about being ridden unless he gets his cuddles first... Very Happy
Hes not just a horse, but part of the family and one whos loved by everyone who meets him.
Shy...

Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Shy and of course Dalesman

As I put in the other post it is a pleasure to meet a fellow Norcliffe! Our lad Cavalier and is out of:

Sire: Stype Wood Earl # 46295
Dam: Bodernog Countess # 142716

He was born on the 3rd of February 1992.

I have tried to track down the breeders John and June Dale but Norcliffe Farm in Cheshire has been sold for development as far as I have been able to ascertain.

He was the most beautiful creature I have ever had the pleasure of knowing, I was a complete novice when we got him at the age of 6 and he just taught me everything. Just such patience but oh he could be stuborn!!

Once we knew and trusted each other the relastionship became pretty strong without the need to speak if you understand what I mean.

Before Cavalier I was not a horsie kind of person and I can still say I am not a horsie kind of person but put me in front of a Shire and I go weak in the knees! Smile

Love to hear and see more of your beautiful lad!

Paul

P.S. When did you get your lad and where?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Paul !

We got Dalesman March 2005.
Somebody told us there was a shire stallion for sale near Cuxhaven. So we went for look. It was love for the first sight.
He wasnīt in a bad state as we saw him the first time. Later we found out that his protein level was lots to high and he was
full of mites.
He came 1997 to Germany and had a few up and downs. I have pictures of him where can see the rips stickin out and nearly no mane and tail. The halter gown in his head and the body was full of wounds.
I believe you as you said that Cavlaier is the most beautiful creature. As for the name GENTLE GIANT it couldnīt be more true.
Dalesman is real big baby. He is very attached to me.
He follows me like a dog
By the way the parents are
Sire : Stype Wood Earl
Dam : Norcliffe Charlotte

Thomas

Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Thomas

Ah so they are half brothers! That is really nice to know as I don't know of any other Norcliffes. I have found three phone number of John Dale so I shall try and phone him soon.

May I ask where in Germany you are, i.e. which of the 4 Stades? I am planning a trip to Germany in the next week or 2 and I need to be near Hannover and would love to meet Dalesman and of course yourself!

I am doing a delivery of an antique bookcase and will stay the night in Germany and then go back the following day picking up some things in Holland.

Paul

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Paul,
well seeing that hubs got the answer in quicker than i did...lol
You said about not being a horsey person, but i know what you mean. I cant ride and have been advised against it because of a back problem, but still love to have any contact possible with horses, and always have. I have been on Dalesman a few times, just glad there was no one around to see the "getting on his back" part... Shocked
When ive been on him, he just sort of follows thomas anyway, so thats that!
Something i adore about all shires is the look they have in their eyes, so trusting and full of love, something you dont see in all horses.
As for John, i havent met him yet, but have spent time on the phone with him, a really lovely man.
Does everyone in your family ride?
shy

Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Shy

Yes, your hubby has been very active and I loved seeing the video of Dalesman! 18.4hh Wow!! 2 hands taller the Cavalier! I can't wait to see him! Laughing

I have learned to ride on Cavalier, he taught me well! Mostly just hacking about, it is like sitting on a big comfy chair. As you say they have such peace about them, so trusting and so full of love. Cavalier used to rest his head on my shoulder and then fall as sleep, some weight! Laughing

Caitriona rides as well and has done since she was a child.

I had a nice long chat with John and we will definitely go and visit him soon, it is funny as we were in the same room last year when the Shire Horse Society organised a talk at Leahurst about Equine Grass Sickness.

I look forward to meeting you, your hubby and of course Dalesman!!

Paul

Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

PS. I love your avatar and signature!

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ive had the avatar and shire sig for ages, cant even remember where i got them from!
I can see when you and thomas get together, its gonna be one hell of a chat!
Smile

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey Paul, hows you? Have you recovered now from the exhausting hours here? Laughing
Big thank you again for the things you brought, talk about luxery!

Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Shyone!

Yes, just about! 1600 miles in 5 days! Thank you for your hospitality! It was much appreciated and it was a pleasure meeting you and your family!

Of course meeting Dalesman was fantastic! I really enjoyed seeing him and what brought it all back to me was the smell, the sweet smell of Shires! If I could have 'bottled' it I would have!

Have not had the time yet to go through all the DVD's that Thomas kindly made for me! The impact of 5 days not being here was more then I would have anticipated!

I am glad you enjoyed the pies!

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi All -

Found your site by doing a search for Norcliffe shires. I worked for John over a summer showing season when I was a teenager and spent some of the time showing Norcliffe Charlotte - good to see her mentioned! She was a yearling when I worked there, and was a dream to handle bearing in mind I was only 14.

Good memories! Very Happy

Angela
Holdfast
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello Angela, glad to meet you! Smile
Those Norcliffe boys look terrific, I wonder if anyone can trace their line forward to today. They probably won't have that prefix, but you know what they say, a rose by any other name....
I bet Paul will be pleased when he sees you here.
valerie n scout
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

yoohoo nice to meet you too Cool I only have part shire....not sure which part !

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

valerie n scout wrote:
yoohoo nice to meet you too Cool I only have part shire....not sure which part !

Laughing Laughing
stnocker

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Shy,

do you have Dalesman anymore. Is he alive? It was me who bought him from John in Peterborough in 1998. I brought him to Germany, trained him to listen to any command. I rode him until the beginning of 2002 when he was stolen by my ex wife and sold to somebody. I never saw him again. I hope he is still alive and well.

Regards
Four Feathered Friend
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello & welcome guys, I'm from Lancashire too originally, moved to Berkshire back in 1999. Love reading these stories, it's a small world isn't it? Will have a Cotebrook mare coming to live with us next Month, the one in my avatar pic..
She's a very green 11 year old, have been doing some ridden work, etc with her for a Year & 3 Months, her owner has kindly offered her to us for the foreseeable future so we can have some fun at shows with her.
Always had a love of Shire's, they are just as you described.. not a mean bone in their rather large bodies Laughing

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic