The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Foal Behaviour View next topic
View previous topic
piepony
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My Shire colt foal, bought at weaning has never displayed the normal mouth snapping, opening and closing to my other older horses. I have seen 2 year olds try this tactic to tell a higher ranking animal that they are only little and pose no threat. Stephen, also called Arthur, has never told the others he is just a baby. Is this normal for Shire foals or does it mean he already thinks he is big enough to be the boss?
Any answers?
Susie piepony
rextara
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My Sára (shire Hunter) told her daddy (Shire stallion) at the age of 9 months that she is the boss of the herd. Strange enough my stallion listend to it (Ok, he is a real softy if girls are involved Laughing ) If she was standing in the stable and my stallion wanted to go in there also, he had to wait till she allowed it.
My poor gelding (warmblood) had always being bitten by her.
piepony
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Is Sara easy to handle and train?
Danny is a piebald cob stallion, Jasmine was born this June 2007 and whilst her Mummy would not let her steal oats, Daddy is a complete push over. Jasmine has her own feed bucket and gets her head into all the bigger boys dinners.
If she is too cheeky and someone tells her off, she mouths and says I am just a foal, please don't pick on me. Girls are very bright at a young age!
Did Sara ever do mouthing at bigger horses if it was advantageous?

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic