The Shire Horse Forum Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Getting Started View next topic
View previous topic
Scott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Not sure if I am doing this correct but here goes

My wife and 3 daughters are horse fanatics and I am but mere labour and would very much like to join in the fun. I have always loved the larger breeds and the Shire seems quite unique.

Are there any particular things that should be watched for when viewing prospected horses?

Also, looking for a good website to watch for Shires for sale in the Ontario Canada area.

Thanks for the help
Paul & Caitriona
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Scott,

The ladies in your house have you well trained. Very Happy It all depends on what you want to do with the shire. There are far more experienced people on this site than me. I am sure they will gladly help you out. Good luck with your new friend.

Caitriona

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

can't help out with a buyer but your best place to start looking for a shire is the shire horse society i'm pretty sure they have a us branch because i think we went looking on there by acciedent once but i'm pretty dosey so don't take my word for it!
We took a huge risk and bought Harvester off of the internet my crazy parents didn't even view him when he came i was expecting him to hop off the box with only three legs or something!!
Study the american blood lines- this can tell you alot because you mention certain names and everyone starts smiling and nodding their heads round here they's start saying ah you got a good hoss their young un. Leverton James, hillmore prince charles and walton supreme are just a few of our super horses i'm sure there are many more famous ones i've only been in the "pure" shire world for a year myself!
Don't be decived by youngstock... shires go up for a long time and then begin to fill out around four years old Harvester looks like a giant pile of hairy legs at the moment!
Do your research so you know what questions to ask, view both parents when possible.
Your ladies will probably know all this buying shires is the same as any horse you just gotta know about your particular breed.
If you are going to see a horse then ask around about the breeder, get a feel for him contact the society and see if he's registered etc.
Shires are great but don't be tricked into thinking they are slow and a bit dumb because from experience i can tell you that they definately aren't Harvester is incredibly quick to learn anything and he's as playful and full of trouble as some of the cheekiest shetlands on the yard, he's very very kind and sweet natured but where he's young he's also very clumbsy painfully so when its your feet he's having contact with!
Have fun they are amazing animals i'd sell my soul before parting with my big hairy boys!
Scott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you both, I will continue my research, looking forward to seeing a big friend in the field when I get home from work
Paul & Caitriona
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Scott and family

Not sure how far you want or can travel but there is a good website with sadly loads of Shires which need to be rescued, they have been rescued from the PMU trade (Pregnant Mare Urine) and are looking for good homes. http://www.pmurescue.org/

I do know there are many PMU horses in Canada as well so maybe Google PMU Horses Canada and see if there is anything nearer to you.

I am not going into the details of PMU horses as it makes my blood boil.

Anyhow I just had a look and there are many Shires listed.

Paul

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic